WD40EFAX Simultanious Drive Failure

WD Users,

I have QTY 2 WD40EFAX running in a Windows 10 controlled Software RAID 1 (Mirror) as a logical drive.

A few days ago both drives failed simultaneously. I lost the logical drive, and could hear the following noise from both drives:

Others have experienced this failure type on single drives:

So, drives fail, and I had a backup made only a few days ago. Actually, my family photos and personal finances are on this drive. That stuff is pretty important to me, and that is why I had a RAID 1 + backups. In the past, I have lost one of the two drives on a couple occasions over the last 20 years of personal computing, and have always been able to recover data using the 1 good drive in the mirror. This time, both drives failed in the same way, simultaneously. Neither drive will do a thing - I get the double click of death from both.

This seems very, very, unlikley.

Are there any known exploits that cause WD drives to fail in this way?

Side note: I have two new drives running on the same power and SATA lines the old drives were on with a Windows 10 Software RAID 1 logical drive. I have recovered my data using those power and comm lines, so I don’t think it is an issue related to the existing: power supply / Windows 10 software RAID 1 / SATA controller / SATA cables. Because of this, I can’t help but think there is some malware / exploit / zero day or other strange software issue.

Thoughts? Any and all contributions are welcome.

Hi @WDHDUser1,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask