WD4001FAEX Format 4tb drive

Hello and help,

I have a computer running Win 7 ultimate 32bit. I just bought a WD4001FAEX internal hd. I have 2 internal drives now with 1tb C: (Vista) not partitioned and a second drive N with 3 partitions( Win7) being my operating system drive ( I duel booted with C: being Win Vista and N: being Win 7 but have since removed Vista. I want to copy my Win 7 partition with all programs to my new 4tb WD drive. My first problem is I have the 4tb WD in a external enclosure for this purpose and my computer doesn’t show the drive in My Computer, if I use EASEUS Partition Master 6.5.1 Professional Edition only 2tb. and if I use Acronis True Image Home 11.0 shows 1.639 with unallocated 2.000 tb.

Is there a way that I can partition the WD 4tb drive into at least 2 partitions and copy my N: (Win7 and programs partition) with C: as the drive letter? I can open the case and remove and install hard drives if needed. I just thought I could setup the new drive and then replace the internal with it.

I guess the first and most urgent step is getting my computer to see the full capasity of the 4tb drive.Could the external USB enclosure limit TB/

Thank you for reading and hopefully your support.

Charlie

Hello,

I recommend that you connect this drive directly to your motherboard and try to partition it.

Take a look at this link:

Installing a WD internal drive in an external USB/NAS enclosure.

Hello,

Before I moved the drive to my motherboard I thought I’d look into the disk manager and followed instructions from the link. When it shows the drive it’s divided in 2 sections with black bars both unallocated. If I right click on first it would let me simple volume it but states for single disk. The second section is a little smaller but will only allow properties. I’ve attached a picture. This was an expensive drive, I don’t want to screw it up.

Again, thanks for your help

This is were I am now. A picture is worth a thousand words. I’m going to try this tomorrow after I put the drive into the computer and direct connect to the motherboard. Any suggestions before I start?

Acronis New Drive.jpg

What do you mean?

I’m trying to set up a new 4tb drive to work with Win7 32 bit and Dell Inspiron 530 computer.

I formatted GTP and now have a 3.63tb drive in a USB enclosure.

Now I have another problem I’m not sure belongs here. I had a duel boot system with C: being Vista and second drive partition N: Win7. Wanted to try Win7 before I gave up Vista. I used EasyBCD 2.2 to get rid of Vista chose on boot up screen and starts Win 7. I even renames Windows to Win just to make sure. Now I want to replace the C drive with the new 4gb drive for data storage only but when I swipe drives my computer won’t start, only from installation cd. I switched the C drive back in my computer and it starts normally.

What am I doing wrong?