WD40 EFRX (WD Red) successful install from scratch

perhaps try from 2 to 3 drives then the 4th?
Did you fdisk clean before the recreate/recover?
I think in the past with new drives sometimes it may take 5 days to initialize and boot. May take even longer with 6tb. No clue what triggers that as it should boot while initializing, just be slow
if it hangs again you might try looking to see if it got an IP?

Good Luck :slight_smile:

When I tried today I got an error Startup failed 0XD09 or similar. I will re-try with two drives, then have a full windows update cycle and add one drive at a time as you suggested. I confirm all the drives were “cleaned” with diskpart before the re-create. However even with 4 drives the re-create and recovery was OK, for some reasons at the first main reboot following the completion of the recovery the system locked during the DX4000 Initializing process.

Bad news. The transition from 2 disks to 3 disks took days but was completed succesfully. However, as it probably is happening also during the standard install, at the first reboot the unit stops with the message “Initializing…” forever. Switching off/on the unit the next message is “Startup failed”. That is pretty strange because the RAID migration was successful, I had 10.8 Tb of available space with 3 WD 6Tb drives. But for some reason at the reboot RAID5 becomes un-accessible. So the system works only with 2 x 6TB in RAID 1 configuration.

I have no clue. I wonder if there is just not enough ram somewhere to handle it? Or is it possible these drives take too much power?