First thing I checked was the bios. It properly identified the drive.
I next replaced the drive with another of mine and everything was fine. So I concluded the WD3200js drive was no longer functioning properly. I searched the WD site for any kind of software that might be able to straighten out this drive, to no avail.
I just have bad luck with WD drives… I purchased 2 500GB drives a couple years ago and no sooner than 4 months one of the two failed. Of course I lost the receipt so I ate the cost of the drive.
I am very disappointed with the failure rate of these drives. And no obvious diagnostic tools available… hmmmmmm.