WD3200AAJS not detected by BIOS. Tried new cables, 3 computers, new PCB. Still not detected

Hi, I have a computer which it’s been working ok for 6 months and few weeks ago suddenly stopped detecting the HDD.

It spins but it’s not detected. Tried another SATA cable, another power supply, I’ve connected it to three different computers but nothing worked. It’s just not detected by the computer.

I bought on ebay another PCB (identical to the original one), with the new PCB it spins for 10 seconds and then just stops I think it’s defective (the seller says all their PCBs are tested and working…). If I use again the old one it keeps spinning but still don’t detect the HDD.

I know there are some Seagate HDDs which can be revived by updating firmware (by building a rs232 to sata adapter) and I would like to know if something similar can be done for Western Digital Drives.

The data stored on the HDD is important and I would like to recover it.

Thank you!

Hello

I don’t think WD provide firmware or repair PCB. Even thought I’ll suggest you to contact then, you can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

A straight board swap will not work. This is because each board stores unique, drive specific information, either in an 8-pin serial flash chip at location U12, or internal to the main MCU chip. This chip, or its contents, needs to be transferred from patient to donor.