WD30EZRX Problem Hanging Freenas Server

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum and until recently never really had much need to “troll” through the drive forums.

I have just purchased  two of the 3TB WD30EZRX drives and have installed one (for the time being) into my Freenas 0.7.2 server. The drive was detected, formatted (UFS) and configured as a SMB share with no issues…

When copying data to the drive (i’m consolidating 3 previous 1TB drives in a ZFS array) the whol system hangs after a period of time (random time).  The whole computer hangs… CAPS lock on the KB stops toggling etc for example.

My only option is to reboot and try to continue… 

The problem of hanging is obviously huge, but the reliability of the drive must also be questioned. Should I just get rid now and send it back?? 

The motherboard is an Asus P4C800-Deluxe, and a P4-3ghz chip, 1GB ram.  The system was completely stable until adding the WD30EZRX.

Any thoughts suggestions as what to check? or advice…  or is it simply a case of returning the drives??

Cheers guys.

Hello Jazuk1970,

As a recommendation, you can try testing the drive connected internally to a computer formatted as NTFS with the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. This way you will know if the product is performing properly.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MjUyNDQ3My9zaWQvdDdpZldxa2w%3D