WD2GO on iPad very very slow, on Android much faster

I stopped using WD2GO for browsing photos and large documents because download speed was unacceptable. Say 5 Mb in 5 minutes!
Recently my wife bought an Android smartphone, so I installed WD2GO there to. Surprise: it now takes only a few seconds to download that same photo!

I asked WDC support for a solution, but they refer to Apple…

Anyone else who experiences very slow download on IOS?

Hello and welcome, note that the transfer rate will depend on how fast is your internet connection. Both of the methods use HTTPS which encrypts all data transfers. WD uses a custom protocol for Mobile Apps. For Computers we use WebDAV.

Our own custom protocol is much lighter weight than WebDAV and thus you can get all the info for a single directory listing with a single request/response without extra bloat.  The OS will only mount drives based on a standard protocol such as WebDAV. If you do have a slow connection, the WebDAV protocol, which was already somewhat slow will be even more pronounced.

My problem is a tad different.  The My book Live is attached via LAN ethernet port in the new Airport Extreme.  I am able to get the video streaming, when I am on a 4g or outside wifi without problem.  But at home, it is stuttering.  Is there a problem of switch between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz signal that does this, or is this something different?  I am able to play from the computer or laptop without any problem. But the WD2go is slow.  Need some help here please.  Thanks in advance.

Boomklever wrote:
I stopped using WD2GO for browsing photos and large documents because download speed was unacceptable. Say 5 Mb in 5 minutes!
Recently my wife bought an Android smartphone, so I installed WD2GO there to. Surprise: it now takes only a few seconds to download that same photo!

I asked WDC support for a solution, but they refer to Apple…

Anyone else who experiences very slow download on IOS?

Do you have iOS 6.1.3? Because that’s the only version of iOS that for some weird reason has big connectivity problems with the app. I hope for WD to fix it on iOS 7.

Yes, I have 6.1.3, I do hope that they fix it soon!

And they might as well fix some other things :wink: Some .xls documents crash on open for instance.

And add support for FLAC…

I have IOS 6.1.3 on all my devices, and I don’t have any issues with download speeds.

In fact, I’m downloading a 2.3 GB movie file right now, and it’s downloading at 25 Megabits / sec.

And as to adding FLAC:   WD 2go doesn’t support ANY codecs.  It passes the file to Apple’s integrated handlers.  If Apple doesn’t support FLAC, neither will WD 2go.

Like any other file type, you can “Open In…” from WD 2go to an app that handles FLAC.

How strange: I did not do any changes to my network setup, router or iPad. I just tried the upload speed again and all of a sudden it is as fast as on the Android smartphone! Strange, because I did try WD2GO several times over a couple of weeks/months, with always the same results (slow).

Anyway, I now manage to load and decode a 7Mb jpeg file within about 5 seconds through my network. Still no superspeed, but workable for showing a few pics.

Didn’t know that Aplle does not support FLAC…