WD2go App access code validity time

Hallo,

I want to connect with my android mobile phone using WD2go App to my WD MyBookLive from outside of my home network (i.e. during a stay in holiday far from home away), but therefor I need the WD2go access code, which is only 2 days valid. After expiration of access code I had to generate a new on in the MyBookLive dashboard. But I cannot access the MyBookLive dashboard remotely from holiday site via a mobile computer using UMTS mobile phone network, because I got “access forbidden” from WD MyBookLive HTTP server. So I cannot generate a new access code. What can I do to use a access code or more than on over a period of 10 days, if I’m not at home? From where do I get an access code, if I cannot configure WD MyBookLive over dashboard generating a new one?

hfrsamba

The access code is only use ONE TIME.   Once the device is paired, the access code doesn’t “expire.”

The expiration means that you have 24 hours to PAIR the device.  Once paired, it’s good forever (or until the pair is manually broken.)

1 Like

Ok, thank you.

So I have to avoid to delete app data in android phone during holiday, because I cannot create a new access code, if I don’t have access to my WD My Book Live at home. By deleting app data from WD2go App the access code is also deleted.

And there seems to get troubles with WD2go android App, if I doggle betwenn a connection per WLAN (local access inside my home network) and a connection per UMTS outside of my local home network. If first connect by mobile internet connection from outside to MBL using the access code: this works. Then I change to WLAN connection and now I have to grant access with my password and again I am connected. Then I go back to a mobile internet connection and now I got a error message from WD2go app: “no access to the device (0)”. If I then delete WD2go app data, I can again access with a new generated access code. But the procedure repeats using alternating WLAN and mobile internet connection. So I on holiday I have to delete app data, I have no change to get a new access code. This procedure with access codes is not very considered by WD, because once activating an access code, it cannot be used a second time.

hfrsamba

hfrsamba wrote:

This procedure with access codes is not very considered by WD, because once activating an access code, it cannot be used a second time.

hfrsamba

An access code is only needed when you’re trying to set someone up that’s not on the local network.

If your device is on the local network, you can pair it without a code just by using the user’s password.

the problem was a faulty firmware in my router (AVM FRITZ!Box). With the current beta worker version of AVM the problem is gone. I previous lost every 24h hours remote access to MBL, now it is stable.

unfortunately the problem - lost of remote access for App “WD 2go” after short disconnection of internet connection by the router - arises again. I have created a new thread for this issue in the german formum.

hfrsamba wrote:

unfortunately the problem - lost of remote access for App “WD 2go” after short disconnection of internet connection by the router - arises again. I have created a new thread for this issue in the german formum.

Care for an English update? I mean, what problems do you have? Can you set the ports on the MBL to match those of your router and leave them open?

Hallo,

the problem has nothing more to do with “access code validity time”. Every 24 hours my homenetwork router (AVM FRITZ!Box), connected to DSL with my provider “German Telekom”, makes a short time (about 5 seconds) disconnection from the internet DSL (digital subscriber line) line and a reconnection. This results in getting a new public IP address from my provider (which normally forces a reconnection after 24 hours from the provider router side; the AVM FRITZ!Box make this discconection secure at a certain time, which can be set in the home router interface). This again results in a not working remote access (mobile access) from my mobile device (iPad or Android smart phone) after each disconnection (in german called “Zwangstrennung”, there is no english word available (Babylon translates it with “Obligation separation”)).

The problem has nothing to do with the ports in the router firewall (FRITZ!Box) or the MBL. They are configured well, are opened and normally remote access (mobile access) works both with the “WD 2go” App and with the “WD Photos” App.

I can manually disconnect the DSL line from internet in FRITZ!Box (homenetwork router), to force getting a new public IP address from my provider. After this again I cannot connect with mobile devices (over mobile internet connection, NOT WLAN) to my My Book Live devices. I think there must be a WD server, which intermediates between MBL and mobile phones, but doing this after each foreced discconnection with a wrong IP address. Normally those this - remote access - are done with DynDNS (dynamic DNS), but WD decided to do this in an other way, which I cannot retrace.

Just found an other thread in this forum: “Wd2go & WDPhoto - Device Offline Problems”, where also problems are discribed to connect with “WD 2go” and “WD Photos” to MBL by using static IP, instead of DHCP. Is also use static IP addresses for MBL(s) in my home network.

A work around - only till next obligation separation from the internet by dsl router every 24 hours and one has to be at home, works not from outside home - is to deactivate and reactive “remote access” switch in MBL over its dashboard. With reactivation of remote access the connection the the “WD server” is reestablished, which might update the IP address, with which the MBL is reached from internet, respectively from outside the home network.

greetings

hfrsamba

If a router running UPnP has changed its external address, AFAIK, the router must notify all the UPnP clients of the change.

The client (The WD MBL in your case) should then handle that.   In my case, I get reconnected (the term you’re looking for is probably “Obligatory Separation”) anywhere from 24 hours to 1 week.  I never have issues reconnecting unless I attempt it within a few minutes for the change.

Are you running UPnP to do WD 2go? Or doing static port forwarding?  

UPnP is activated in my router, but MBL ports are configured manually - not automatically - and so I have also to configure the ports manually in the router port forwarding table (there is a hint in dashboard to configure router manually)

Port 8080 internal on MBL and port 80 external, 8443 internal on MBL and 443 external for first MBL; port 8082 internal and port 80 external, port 8445 internal and port 443 external on second MBL. Remote access works until first obligatory separation occurs.

If I set in MBL dashboard “connection options” to “automatic”, port 80 and 443 are automatically appers in the router UPnP port forwarding table. But I cannot use automatic in MBL, because port 80 and 443 are already reserved for another NAS (Iomage ix2-200) and also I have two MBLs. But port forwarding is not the problem, I think both MBLs do not handle the change of IP address from router (my computer can handle it and recognized changes and also my Iomega StorCenter NAS recognizes changes in external IP address and handles it correct. But MBLs do not.

There is a WD server, which arranges the contact between MBL and mobile decives or www.wd2go.com. There must be an alogorithmus to handle changes of IP addresses of my internet line, but after change of it by obligatory separation, connection is no more possible. Perhaps the previous IP address is used for communication betwenn MBL and mobile devices instead of the current.

Which firmware are you (@TonyPh12345) using in MBL? In which country do you live and who is your internet provider? In Germany I’m connected to German Telekom, which makes an obligatory separation every 24 hours on DSL (Digital Subscriber Line).

hfrsamba wrote:

If I set in MBL dashboard “connection options” to “automatic”, port 80 and 443 are automatically appers in the router UPnP port forwarding table. But I cannot use automatic in MBL, because port 80 and 443 are already reserved for another NAS (Iomage ix2-200) and also I have two MBLs.

This shouldn’t matter.  The WD will automatically use ANY external port.   I have had as many as four MBLs on my network using WD 2go simultaneously, and also have 80/443 forwarded manually to my Linux server.   WD 2go with UPnP works automatically with this.

Your router should NOT assign 80 & 443 if those ports are already configured manually on the router.   AFAIK, If your router does this, it is a bug in the router firmware, but I am not certain.   If the MBL requests to use 80/443 with UPnP negotation, the router should tell the MBL that the port is unavailable and the MBL must pick another port.

I know that the MBL *does* pick another port if another UPnP device already has 80/443 (this is why many MBLs can use WD 2go simultaneously.)

I’m using the latest available firmware on the MBL.  I’m in the US on Verizon FiOS.

thank you TonyPy12345,

problem is not the port forwarding, there is all well configured. If this were the case, I don’t have not a single one remote access, but I have remote access for one day (24 hours), next day it does not any more work.

You live in US and have probably a static IP address from your provider at your internet interface. We in Germany have only rarely static IP addresses - only big companies - mostly we have dynamic IP addresses at the internet interface, which is changed every 24 hours by obligatory separation by the provider (not all provider, but German Telekom does so).

The only solution I had in moment is to connect with my mobile devices through a VPN (virtual private network) tunnel to my home network, call in browser my MBL dashboards, switch in MLB dashboard “remote access” to off and again to on, which reinitializes remote access of MBL (and sends the present external IP address to any WD servers), disconnect VPN and by doing this every morning I have remote access (if I’m outside of home) to MLBs for the next day till next obligatory separation.

hfrsamba wrote:> You live in US and have probably a static IP address from your provider at your internet interface.

Nope, no static IPs here.   That costs lots of money.

ok, so you have a dynamic IP address from your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Does this IP address change every 24 hours or never, so you have always the same? Or in which interval is it changing?

At my internet access point the external public IP address changes every 24 hours, and if this has happend I can nomore use WD 2go or the Apps on by mobile devices, connected through mobile internet to my MBLs: I got the error message: “device is not accessible”. Then I set in dashboard “remote access” to “disabled” and again to “enabled” and access with WD 2go and WD Photos works again successfully.