WD250 issues

i had purchased WD 250 gb hdd some time back and for about 3-4 months i’m getting some errors…

even if system is properly shut down… i randomly get scan msg on boot up… filesystem i use on all hdd is ntfs and almost everytime there are some files moved to found.xxx folder and there are errors with file system…

sometimes “free space is marked up as used” error is there… i checked 3-4 times in 3 months with “chkdsk/r” and found no errors n no bad sectors…

its heating up somewhat unusually high… cause i remember it was nothing noticable for about 2 yrs… i’m currently using a cabinet fan for cooling the hdd…

two weeks back 8 KB was marked up as bad sector on boot up… so just to be sure… i moved all data from two partitions… merged them  and clean formatted within windows (not using quick format)…and after format i used “chkdsk/r” and it found no bad sectors (0 KB)…

there are some images and videos that got corrupted only on the 250 gb drive… i noticed this about 1 month back…

i checked the disk through WD data lifegaurd dignostic and it showed no error… SMART status also showed no error but all values  are equal or crossing the “worst” values… here is a screen shot…

smart-info1.jpg

smart-info2.jpg

i still have about a year left on warranty… should i get the disk replaced?? can it be replaced if there are no bad sector??

any other suggestions??

Get it replaced ASAP.

thnx for the reply…

can it be replaced in present situation??

it had 8KB bad sectors… but its not showing any now…

data is still corrupted…

Run TestDisk / HDD Regenerator 2011 and see if you can reclaim the bad sectors. If you can’t it is always advisable to get a replacement.

dear mabkay… thnx for ur reply

however… it could be more helpful for me if u read the question properly…

my prob. is

windows showed 8KB bad sectors 2 week back… which went away after clean format…

hdd is still corrupting data as before format… its about 95% full

it is heating up very unusually high… which it did not before (say 1yrback)…

also SMART status is showing ok… but i dont fully understand its values… so i have attached a screenshot…

and my Q. is…

can it be replaced with above conditions??

(will WD replace the disk just on my demand… without showing bad sector… and without errors on chkdsk… but i suspect is failing because its corrupting data… heating up)

pls look into it and tell me… thnx

amit_bagul,

Full formatting does not remove bad sectors from the platter. Formatting just marks fund bad sectors as bad and reallocate sectors from spare room. Once spare area run out of space you’ll begin to see bad sectors on the disk map. HDD regenerator 2011 can recover bad sectors without reallocating from spare sectors. Try HD Tune to test your drive.

It doesn’t matter whether your drive is working or not, you can always get a replacement drive before warranty expires and if live in North America or Europe. All you have to do is to return the old drive once you receive the new one.

Elevated heat generation (compared to past) is a symptom of eminent drive failure.

1 Like

ok… thnx for the info!!

one more thing… i’m from India… will I get a new drive or refurnished one as a replacement??

if a used drive… will it be as good??

thnx again :smiley:

In United States/Canada you’ll get a brand new unit as a replacement. I am not sure about India but I have seen four or five WD support companies listed on WD support website. In regard to efficiency of these establishments are somewhat questionable as I learn from this community. It is always a good idea to request a new replacement from WD support site prior to contact Indian support. WD will forward your request to Indian support near you. Be sure not to handover your unit until you get a replacement. I heard that some users in India waiting over a month to get a replacement. And don’t accept used or refurbished units.

It’s a funny and pathetic  thing that we do not have a single WD support or sales unit in Sri Lanka. But we have Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung with full support. Good Luck neighbor!

1 Like

Look in here for RMA info…

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/rmainfo.asp?india=y&custtype=end&rnd=02241022