wd20ears

Hmmm I’ve just reboot my server and… The Drive isnt “Initialized” anymore… I’ve been using it, for about a years now… The other one just broke up (in RMA process atm) and this one… Lost everything for now (working on recovery) is there any heads up for this type of drive ??

Due to the 3 second parking that this drive does it basically scews it self over a short time.  Mine just died as well.  If you have a server dont replace it with another green drive.  I have been all over the net for the last few days and they are not reliable. The power savings that you get out of them is pointless for the inconvience that a drive crapping out does for you.  get a black drive i have had good luck with them. the red drives dont seem to be worth the money because they dont seem to be lasting either.  sigh…

Hi actually a green drive is meant for storage only , not to be used in raid or even as a boot drive, they list this information in the specs on the drive.

Hammey wrote:

Hi actually a green drive is meant for storage only , not to be used in raid or even as a boot drive, they list this information in the specs on the drive.

I don’t agree with that.

I agree with them not being used in RAID  (unless you know what you’re doing and are mitigating the risks…  I’ve had four Green drives in a RAID for almost two years now without a hiccup)

But I disagree with the “not even as a boot drive.”

Three of the PCs are over 5 years old and have WD “green”-type drives in them – and that’s all.   So obviously they’re all the boot drive.  

Hi I am only going by the spec that WD gives on the green drives. Of course you use them for what you want but they are only recommended for storage drives.

Can you link me to the spec that says that?

Hi sure they are a little out of the way you need to bring up specs on a green drive @ WD and when that little window opens at the top right you will see drive specification sheet pdf.  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771438.pdf it is listed under the applications section.

I’m still not seeing where it says that it’s not recommended as a boot disk.

Hi the first line in the application section says quote 

WD Green hard drives are tested and recommended for use as secondary storage in PCs. Secondary storage is not a boot drive.

I read that as a recommendation, not a prohibition…

In contrast, the RAID statement is most definitely a prohibition.

Hi I can only post what they WD tells us. Sort of like buying a 2wd car recommended for highways but you use it to go 4x4 . It is up to you, how you understand the recommendations and use it what ever way you want.