wd20ears models

Hi All,

I have an existing WD20EARS that I want to put into a RAID array (in a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2) and I want to buy another to match it.   I can buy obviously a WD20EARX but I would like less problems so I am sourcing an WD20EARS instead to match it.

My question is, what are the differences between the models?   Mine is a 00J2GB0 and I can get ones that are 00J99B0 and another that is I believe the more recent 00MVW80.   Are there differences between these that will make a difference to my RAID or am I being too picky?

I have googled for hours and I can’t find any information.

Thanks in Advance,

oliov

Hi well green drives are not ment for raid they are not even recommended as a boot drive. So for a raid the drives should be the same size and cache but dont expect to not have problems with it.

Thanks for your reply,

I was going based on the Netgear Compatibility List here readynas.com/hcl for readynas duo v2.   It says they are fine, do you know something different?

What WD drive is recommended for raid?

Hi the green drives park the heads constantly and they use intellipower for a RPM so the RPM constantly changes. WD red drives are raid ready also the RE drives. The RE series are called enterprise drives.

In the fine print, if you can find it, WD actually clarifies their vague, confusing (deceptive?) IntelliPower marketingspeak by saying that “for each WD Green drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM.”

www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771439.pdf

In fact the speed is usually (always?) fixed at 5400 RPM.