WD1200JD-00FYB) Hard drive

Hi All,

I have a WD Hard drive that the controller board is broken ,brand new , I would appreciate if any one can help .

Here is the Hard drive info:

WD Cavier

S/N [Edited]

MDL:WD1200JD-00FYB0

DATE:19 DEC 2003

DCM:DSCHCTJAH

SERIAL ATA HD

WD P/N WD1200JD-00FYB0

I would suggest you to contact WD so they can verify if the drive is under warranty, if it is they will replace it.

WD Phone Support

Based on information from Western Digital, if the circuit board of a hard drive is broken, this void the warranty, therefore, even if the hard drive is under warranty, Western Digital will not replace it.

My best suggestion is, if you have information in the hard drive to please try to contact a data recovery company to recover your data.

how can an hard drive from 2003 be still under warranty  these days?

DavidSucesso wrote:

WD automatically starts counting the warranty from the date of manufacture. 

But you can provide purchase information to WD and have the warranty dates amended.

Back then the Caviars had a one year warranty, not three.

The OP did say that the drive was just purchased (one must assume from really old stock, if that “2003” wasn’t a typo).

With proper purchase information submitted to WD, as long as this was an original retail sale, and not a re-sale, then the warranty won’t expire until a year from now, regardless of manufacture date. :wink:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3329/

"

If your registered drive still show an incorrect warranty date, please send us an email and attach a copy of your proof of purchase. We need your proof of purchase in order to update the warranty to start from the date of purchase."

thanks for the info

DavidSucesso wrote:

He doesnt loose anything by verifying.-