WD1200B015 gone from computer

Older model WD1200 not showing up as drive anymore. Was working fine. I turned in off and on, rebooted, but it does not show up on my computer anymore. The blue light is flckering on and off now, and I dont recall it doing that before.

I am using windows Vista with a HP desktop computer .

Any ideas where to start? Thanks.

1 Like

Has this drive been in regular use? Has it been disconnected and reconnected a lot? Try a Different USB port for a start and another USB Cable if you have one. Also try removing drive properly and unplug it then reboot PC and plug drive back in.

Joe

1 Like

Yes it has been in regular use. Yes connected and disconnected a few times. I did try a new cable, new port, and tried hooking it to my laptop, and no joy.

One thing I had done recently was to remove my D:/Recovery drive. It was too full and not working . I intended on using the WD drive to make a new recovery drive. Now my computer is missing the D;/ drive entirely. In other words, it has the C:/ drive then the next drive letters are E:/ and F:/  for my Cd and DVD drives. I don’t know if that matters or not, but it is the most recent thing I had done before losing the WD drive entirely.

Also, I think the blue light was on constantly before, now it is flickering, like it is searching for something.

Thanks for the help so far.

1 Like

Did you look in disk manager and see if it showed there? Sometimes it just needs to be renamed or change to online if it’s showing offline.

Joe

1 Like

When you connect the drive does it show up in Disk Management?

1 Like

It does not show up in disk manager.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I think it was the power supply or cable, so I removed the enclosed HD and installed it in my comp to retrieve my files. The drive still worked and my files were all there. I will just go buy a newer and larger capacity drive now that I have my files back.