WD10EDAS-11M2B2 not being detected

Hi there,

I’ve got the Western Digital Essentials WD10EADS 1TB external hard drive and I’m having some problems with it. I believe the problems I’m getting are due to my son knocking the drive off my desk two or three times, and probably damaging the heads, or some other internal part. 

1- If the drive is connected (via USB, obviously) when I turn the PC on, the machine won’t boot, it won’t even POST. The BIOS splash screen is displayed and it remains on that screen, indefinitely.

2- If I connect the drive once Windows 7 has loaded, I hear the drive make a noise, Windows makes that USB device has been connected noise, and I can view the drive in the eject icon located in the sys tray - the drive does not show up in my computer, nor in the admin/ storage tools, and it doesn’t do the auto run.

I downloaded the Data Lifeguard ( http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=304&sid=3&lang=en), in hope that would be able to do something, but alas, that doesn’t display the WD drive.

I’m here to look for suggestions on what to try next, in the hope of rescuing the drive and data on it!

Thanks.

Hey there,

There’s a couple of things you can try:

a) Try conecting the cable into different USB ports, don’t try the ones on the side or on the front of the PC, use the ones on the back.

b) Try going to Control Panel > Adminitrative Tools > Disk Management. Try to locate and map the hard drive if visible.

If the above steps don’t work, it’s likely that your device is defective and should RMA if it’s still on warranty.

Regards,

I’ve sorted it. Turns out there was a conflict with the drive letters. I’d installed Daemon tools before connecting my WD Essentials drive, and Daemon Tools took drive letter H, which is what the WD drive always was previously.

So there must have been a conflict, changed the drive letter of the virtual drive, plugged in the WD drive, and whallah… it works!