WD10EARS (1TB) Issue

hello,

recently i replaced my  250GB HDD with 1TB WD10EARS. before removing the old HDD, i did these things;

1. partitioned the WD10EARS into 6 Parts (100GB primary and 150GB logical)

2. transfered personal data from old to WD10EARS

3. replaced the old HDD and installed Windows xp sp3 to WD10EARS

result:

my pc started to respond very very slowly. in fact the pc started to act like pentium II running something like windows7.

i deep scaned my pc with Bitdefender antivirus 2012 and also Emsisoft Antimalware 6 but it was clean.

I installed windows xp sp3 again >>>( this time reduced the primary partition size to 30GB

result:

same thing happened but now my pc was not THAT slow and it was an improvement on the previous attempt but not as the pc response with the old HDD that i replaced.

can u please help with the problem?

PS: all logical partition have been formated with NTFS "quick " format…while primary is formated in the regular way.

i want to mention this as well that this is my second WD10EARS HDD as the previous one had problem in the boot sector and wont intall windows ao i had to replace it (dont tell me that this drive had one or another problem on every unit)

machine specifications:

model: dell vostro a180

intel core2duo 2.2Ghz

2Gb RAM

windows xp sp3

intel G31/33 motherboard

Hello,

Please run the Western Digital DLG application, just to verify the integrity of the sectors. If possible let us know the results, you can download the DLG from www.wdc.com

both the short and extended tests on the diagnostic tool shows no errors and it passes the HDD.

and the problem remains… my pc is very slow.

any other suggestions?

I also have a WD10EARS that runs hot and noisy. I wasn’t too concerned until I recently had to RMA a 640GB Black drive and was told by the WD rep that  warranty replacement drives are refurbs only…never new drives.

They send out a refurb with the remaining warranty on a drive that failed within a year and a half! Even Walmart replaces defective items under warranty with new items.

Up until now I’ve used WD drives exclusively. Needless to say I’ll be looking elswhere/paying less from now on. It’s easier and cheaper to buy a less expensive brand and toss it if dies.

Jumping through all the hoops and paying shipping for a refurb (hoping it won’t fail too) just isn’t worth it.

I assume they couldn’t care less as long as they can recycle all the bad drives.

I don’t see you or anyone suggesting to configure the drive for XP, by default it will be on the advanced sector alignment. There might be instructions on the label on the drive hot to set it up for XP before using it.

Always, always, ALWAYS fully test new hardware before using it!

Check partition alignment definitely but I doubt it would cause the performance drop you’re describing.

Get the Ultimate Boot CD and run the WD diags from there.  You can also run some more diags from PartED on that CD.  Check the SMART statistics for errors.

reflexes wrote:

hello,

recently i replaced my  250GB HDD with 1TB WD10EARS. before removing the old HDD, i did these things;

1. partitioned the WD10EARS into 6 Parts (100GB primary and 150GB logical)
  1. transfered personal data from old to WD10EARS
  1. replaced the old HDD and installed Windows xp sp3 to WD10EARS

result:

my pc started to respond very very slowly. in fact the pc started to act like pentium II running something like windows7.

i deep scaned my pc with Bitdefender antivirus 2012 and also Emsisoft Antimalware 6 but it was clean.

I installed windows xp sp3 again >>>( this time reduced the primary partition size to 30GB

result:

same thing happened but now my pc was not THAT slow and it was an improvement on the previous attempt but not as the pc response with the old HDD that i replaced.

can u please help with the problem?

PS: all logical partition have been formated with NTFS "quick " format…while primary is formated in the regular way.

i want to mention this as well that this is my second WD10EARS HDD as the previous one had problem in the boot sector and wont intall windows ao i had to replace it (dont tell me that this drive had one or another problem on every unit)

machine specifications:

model: dell vostro a180

intel core2duo 2.2Ghz

2Gb RAM

windows xp sp3

intel G31/33 motherboard

you do realize that you have an advanced format drive.  you need to align the partition in order for it to not run like a snail, cause that’s exactly what happens when the partition is not aligned.  go to your drive’s wd support page and download an alignment utility.