WD10EALS 1TB HDD - new, with bad sectors

Hello all,

I recently purchased a WD10EALS Caviar Blue 1TB HDD for a new computer. As soon as i fire up windows 7, I get the error: Windows has detected a problem with your hard disk.

I ran the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics program, and I see an X under Smart Status with a big fat red FAIL.

Under attributes, everyhing looks fine except:

Re-allocated Sector Count. ID 5. Value: 64. Threshold: 140. Worst: 64. Warranty: 1.

My question is: is there any way to fix this? I dont mind wiping out my HDD, since this is new and I dont have anything on my computer yet. Or do I need to return the HDD? The computer so far runs mostly okay, except when opening some web pages or dling drivers and things, it sometimes hangs.

thanks in advance!

You definitely need to return it and get a proper replacement. You didn’t get what you paid for.

qqqwerty wrote:

You definitely need to return it and get a proper replacement. You didn’t get what you paid for.

He’s absolutely right.  It was damaged somehow, probably dropped.  You need to return it for another drive.

Hi -

Just a quick update. I got my new hdd today, popped it in, and my comp is zoomin! thanks for yalls help.