WD10EADS 100% disk usage

Hello everyone,

I’ve been trying to search for a few information about this and I either didn’t find any solution nor found anything to help, really. Most results would be about the W10 100% disk usage error which I don’t have, the issue only concerns this very disk and nothing else.

I’ve been troubleshooting a PC lately, in which there was a 1TB Caviar Green WD10EADS. This disk, when put into my own computer isn’t even recognized (despite trying multiple SATA ports) by the BIOS, on an Aorus z390 master mobo, bios F10 (latest). I guess it’s too… recent?

When used with an ICY DOCK, it gets recognized by Windows but shows a disk usage of 100% and is incredibly slow. 100% active even when there’s no activity (R/W).
It takes like 20 to 30 minutes for the disk to get recognized by WD data lifeguard and sometimes comes back with a SMART failed, sometimes passed, see below.

There’s 3 partitions on the disk SYS RESERVED works fine apparently.
The other two, I tried a CHKDSK, and only one ended up starting after the same 20 to 30 mins after I asked.
Needless to say, running an all core 5GHz i9-9900k, it’s incredibly slow.

I’ve got a ■■■■ ton of errors in the event log, mostly this one “A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch service”. Service that I finally managed to stop after the drive got recognized by the WD soft.
Then, there’s this warning that came multiple times : “An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging operation.”

Thing is, I don’t know how to update a firmware because I never had to do that and I’m not even sure of the one installed in the disk itself. Also, could it be a faulty PCB?
I just wanna retrieve personal data at this point and I won’t send it to a white room or anything.

Finally, I already created a ticket but well, maybe you guys may have a batter / different approach and/or solution so, better ask!!

SMART report|624x440