WD1003FZEX 1TB Performance variables. Access times, anything else?

Hello,

As a new member who only signed up due to this issue I’ve found, I wanted to know if this has been fixed? Has there been an update to fix the slower access times?

I’m not going to point a finger and call fraud or say these HD’s are actually Blue’s with a black sticker as I’ve seen people say but the info I found in another thread was rather disturbing.

I also see the thread was locked because the OP “made his point several times” but to me as a consumer that is not acceptable.

The poster may have made his point but I did not see an answer or a resolution presented. I did see a Community Manager attempt to sweep this issue under the rug.

So to warrant this thread I have some questions that were not answered.

Why does the 1TB model have slower access time than 2tb and 3tb?

Has this been addressed and fixed by WD?

Why was this advertised as better performance than the Blue if it actually performs the same?

Is there any reason I should not return this product?

If there are other performance variables apart from access time to make this model better than the blue please post them.

Welcome to the Community.

Is there a possibility to link to this particular thread? What are the current access speeds you are experiencing vs. 2TB and 3TB models?

Here is the trhread that got closed (without someone from WD answering the questions. They’ve just thrown some marketing at the people) - http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-Mobile-Drives/WD1003FZEX-CAVIAR-BLACK-poor-access-time-explained/td-p/658549

There is a similar thread in the overclock.net forum as well. WD1003FZEX has an access time of around 16ms, which is a lot higher than 12ms of the other FZEX Black drives. I understand that this is partly because of the fact that it uses single 1TB platter (Why are all other Black FZEX drives using 800GB platters?), but then again I don’t see what differentiate it from 1TB Blue EZEX drive, which in some cases has lower access time and higher transfer rate speeds. Can WD provide some benchmarks, where they show 1TB Balck FZEX being faster than the 1TB Blue EZEX?

We have passed along this information to WD Support.

Same user as before, but I’ve just forgot my login details.

So, did WD Support reply something about that issue?

Any update on that? Or we are safe to assume that 1TB FZEX and 1TB EZEX are identical apart from the firmware?

I was just about to order a few more Black 1TB drives when I looked at these threads. I am very disappointed in the fact that WD closed the thread without answering.

I have older WD Blacks that have worked well, and relatively fast. But, I do not want to buy a relabeled Blue… I have never bought Blue. Why? because they are (IMHO) inferior to Black. But, if the WD is going to play games… perhaps it is best for me to look elsewhere.

For the time being I have just cancelled my order for WD Black drives (from Newegg). I can wait a little while I figure out what I should buy.