WD1002FAEX not recognized in Windows 7 installation

This is my first time building my own desktop. I have a decent background in computers, but am having issues installing the OS on my HDD. I thought I reviewed all of the compatabilities and made sure everything would work together, but maybe I missed something?

Anyhow, I have a WD1002FAEX 1TB internal HDD and an Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard. I have tried connecting the hard drive to the SATA III 6Gb/s and the 3 Gb/s SATA ports, but when I attempt to boot the system and begin installing the OS, I can get a variety of errors:

• the hard drive isn’t recognized

• the hard drive doesn’t have enough free space

• various Windows errors (although those were only in the first few attempts; haven’t seen one recently)

I don’t have any jumpers on the pins. I’ve attempted going into the BIOS and changing between IDE and AHCI.  An odd thing is that it can switch between the above options between power cycles without me changing any BIOS settings.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know, no matter how simple you think the answer/suggestion may be (I have been known to miss obvious things). I have also submitted a WD email support ticket but haven’t heard from them yet. If I do receive a fix, I will post here.

Thanks in advance!

Justin

you did not mention updating the mobo drivers

checking the drive for problems with Data Lifeguard or other utility will help determine if a drive issue or motherboard

you can also try another set of cables or drive bay, even a different mobo if possible