WD1002FAEX Failure after two days

Hi,

I’m using a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium service 1, Intel Dual CPU E2160 1.8GHz and 3Gb RAM.

My last two days experience with a new 1TB Caviar Black are desribed as follows:

1. I received the hard drive and installed it, luckily as a secondary drive.

2. I started transferring files from the old hard drive (WD 1600AAJS, 150GB) to the Caviar Black. Then I tried to rearrange them in new folders.

However, it took several tries, because windows explorer crashed, but I’ve ignored it (Although never seem to remember such a problem with the old 150Gb drive).

1. I started downloading more files, and heard an annoying noise. I Google’d about it, including finding a Youtube movie with a similar noise, and it seems to be a normal property of the Caviar Black.

2. For the last two days windows explorer crashed several times, apparently without any reason. Moreover, I’ve noticed that generally, the computer’s performance degraded significantly.

3. Several hours ago, Windows popped up a message notifying that the hard drive had failed. I ran some tests using Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and HDD Scan, and indeed it failed.

4. I managed to send some files back to the old hard drive, but others were entirely lost. Widnows could not read from them (however, I could delete them).

Well, the thing is, I’m not worrying about warranty issues, nor the data recovery, but I’m wondering: What can cause the hard drive to fail so quickly? Can it be the operating system, or the entire platform? What guarantees that a new hard drive it won’t fail again after a short period?

It is worth to mention that I found a post somewhere (not here) claiming Windows Search service causes hard drives to fail because they get heated. However, it doesn’t seem to bother the old hard drive…

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you.

Hi sruire well windows search wont kill a drive. The only way really for it to fail in a few days would be a manufactures defect,if it had been connected improperly it would have failed right away this can happen with anything, I have gotten new ram that was bad  the black drives are good drives but there the same you could get just get a bad one. You should beable to exchange it where you bought it as its only a few days old.

Hi, thank you for your answer.

A new one coming next week, hope it would do well this time…