WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 Firmware 05.01D05: No Cache?

A couple of things. I have two of these drives in AHCI mode. They are connected to my ICH9 controller on my rampage formula x48 motherboard.

Chipset and Matrix storage drivers are up to date.

I haven’t used any pin settings because these drives are appearently backwards compatible with SATA2 thus the pin setting shouldn’t be nessessary…

I get read: 131mb/sec and write: 118mb/sec which i THINK is normal BUT any program that shows HDD info shows my cache as N/A.

Shouldn’t it show 64mb? Why does it show N/A?

Does my drive need a firmware update?

I found a thread HEREbut it relates to different versions of the WD1002FAEX: The 00Z3A0 is not in the list of effected drives.

So should I apply that firmware update anyway? I don’t wanna brick my drives.

Any info is apreciated, Thank you.

Oh, and no I haven’t bothered to contact WD support yet.

A maximum sustained read transfer rate of 130MB/s is what is to be expected of a drive that has a data density of 500GB per platter. Therefore ISTM that your drive has 2 platters.

If your benchmark software reports a burst transfer rate in excess of 150MB/s, then this would confirm that the interface rate is 3Gbps or better.

As for your question regarding the 64MB cache, the ATA spec doesn’t provide any way for a drive to report a cache size in excess of 32MB - 512 bytes.

See this explanation:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=203631

Surely there’s a program that can read the cache amount? The seagate 7200.11 first gen batches had a 16mb read error and a  firmware release fixed that.

Does anyone else have my version of the faex? is my firmware the latest? info plz!

Seagate’s cache reporting issue was a firmware bug. However, your cache reporting problem is a limitation of the ATA/ATAPI standard. It is not a firmware problem.

The ATA standard allows for the cache size to be reported in a single 16-bit word. Each bit represents 512 bytes of cache. The largest value that can be stored in 16 bits is 0xFFFF. This is equivalent to a cache size of 32MB - 512 bytes.

You can visually examine your PCB to determine the cache size. On the component side there will be a 64MB SDRAM chip. Unfortunately you will need to remove the board to see it.

What if I just do the firmware update which is available in the above listed link/thread?

Even though my batch is listed as “not affected”, what if i try to do the update anyway?

Sorry, I can’t answer your question. You may wish to ask WD’s Tech Support.