Wd1002faex-00z3a0 1TB drive wont boot after formatted and loaded with WIN7

I have owned this hard drive (WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0) for some time with no problems. However, I had my PC in storage for a while and it took some bumps but not too bad. I go to power it up and it wont boot so I did the usual access of it via the second drive (I have a dual boot system also running WinXP) and could look and access the contents just fine, and did a error check on the drive and it seemed ok but still would not actually boot up.

Then I deleted the partition and started over by running the Win7 factory disk and loaded it fresh and when it was done, again, it would not but as a system disk.

The PC can read the contents and access the files no problem. It just does not suddenly want to be a system disk and boot enabled. Does anyone have any ideas?

Do I need to do a low level format or something? I don’t get it. This has never happened to me with any hard drive before. I made no changes, and currently there are and never were any jumpers installed. And keep in mind it ran great before and booted as Drive 0 no problem. I am at a loss.

Hi Garyh1962,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support if you are having trouble with the form.