WD Wont Update Firmware

Hi there.

I have version 1.012 and I am trying to update to 1.016.  This is a new drive straight out of the box nothing on it yet.

I run the updater and get to the point where its downloaded and it identifies the drive.

I click continue.  It thinks about it and then says no drive found.

I have tried this numberous ways and nothing.  I have everything disabled so just that running and still nothing.  I have tried the advice sort earlier in forums where I delete all versions of it then try again and this has not worked.

Please can you help before I have to take this item back to the store.

Hi there, first of all, why do you want to update the firmware? There’s an old saying that goes “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it”.

You want me to rate that answer.

That does solve the problem now really does it.  i want to update it to keep it up to date and becasue i choose to.  Please if you have nothing constructive to say the please dont.

Can any one please help with my problem.

Usually when the updater stops with “no drive found” it means that no _ updatable _ drive is found – it means the drive is up to date.

Sure, the revisions don’t match, but usually when the numbers are that close, they’re functionally identical… for example there’s no functional difference between 1.01.77 and 1.01.79 firmwares for the WDTV HD, and 1.01.79 can’t be installed on a 1.01.77 box.

I’d assume that the updater is telling you that the 1.016 you’re trying to install is functionally identical to the 1.012 you already have, and there’s nothing new to install.

Almost none of the drives that are “new, straight out of the box” can be updated… they generally ship up-to-date.

1.016 is probably just a flashable version of the 1.012 that the drive shipped with, used for flashing older drives to make them equal to the current-shipping 1.012, which is why it has a different number than 1.012 itself.

IMPORTANT: The following precautions must be performed before applying the firmware update:

• All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled
  • All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled
  • ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled

Failure to perform these precautions may cause data corruption/loss and/or drive failure.

1. Disconnect all other external drives from the computer except for one My Book