WD utilities and security cant recognize my drive

I bought a new my passport, I installed anything but when I am trying to open WD drive utilities or security it doesnt recognize it and pops up a message while I am connected. Any ideas?
(My pc recognize the drive and I can see it in WD discovery)

Hi Jacob_P,

I would like to suggest you to kindly uninstall WD Drive utilities and WD security from your computer and again re-install it from WD support website and then check whether the re-installed WD Drive utilities and WD security see your drive or not.

Refer the link below to re-install WD drive utilities and WD Security:

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=236&lang=en#WD_downloads

thank very much for your immediate response. Finally, I find a solution.

Ī£Ļ„Ī¹Ļ‚ Ī£Ī¬Ī², 12 Ī™Ī±Ī½ 2019 ĻƒĻ„Ī¹Ļ‚ 11:07 Ī¼.Ī¼., Īæ/Ī· Clx44 via WD Community wd@discoursemail.com Ī­Ī³ĻĪ±ĻˆĪµ:

I have the same issue and doing this did not solve the problem. Discovery sees the drive but the security and utilities apps do not recognize the device. Does WD ever plan to fix this issue? I bought the drive specifically for the security feature!

1 Like

I have the same issue. Reinstallation just doesnā€™t work for me. The problem is still there. Security and Utilities just donā€™t recognize the drive. I have to use the security app to cancel my lock to more conveniently use the hard drive on Ubuntu systems.

These errors may be caused by a lot of reasons, such as:

• The WD Drive Utilities or other WD services may not be started.
  • The WD drive is not supported on the WD Drive Utilities.
  • The firmware version is too old.
  • Incompatible hardware configuration and operating system.

So, we will show how to fix the issue that WD Drive Utilities does not recognize drive.

Solution 1.Check Your Hard Drive

The WD Drive Utilities can only recognize WD hard drive. So, in order to fix this issue, you need to check the manufacturer of the hard drive.

Solution 2. Check the Hard Drive Connections

If the connection of the hard drive is not well, the WD Drive Utilities may not detect the hard drive. In this situation, you need to check the hard drive connection. After that, check whether the issue of WD Drive Utilities not detecting drive is fixed.

Solution 3. Reinstall WD Drive Utilities

In order to fix the error that WD Drive Utilities does not recognize drive, you can try uninstalling it and reinstalling it again. Download the safe version from its official site. Then run it again and check whether these WD Drive Utilities issues are fixed.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Same problem here, but with more complications. I bought the 5 TB MyPassport Ultra and when I installed it in my Laptop (Windows 7 64 bit Professional) It worked OK, no issues. When I connected it to my PC (Dell Inspiron, Windows 7, 64 bit Professional) then the issues started and started bad. The new external drive ā€œblockedā€ two of three of my External hard drives (three of them WD with Password Protection), making them unaccessible. I had to format those. Thank goodness I am a backup freak and I didnā€™t lose a bit of work or data.

Now, the new ā€œconfigurationā€ makes everything slower. The Drives take up to 15 minutes in being recognized, I have to manually activate the new MyPassport Ultra, and to make things worse, The Virtual Drive Manager canā€™t be read by the Disk Manager. I canā€™t see what drives I have!

You guys need to fix this problem ASAP and forget about updating and leaving Windows 7 users with their machines broken.