WD Unlocker won't start up when attaching a drive

Hello there. Can someone help?

I have a few old My Passports (all 4Tb) - which all work fine.
But the new one I just bought only opens up without the WD software. I really need to use it with the encryption software.

WD Utilities just asks me to attach a drive. It is. I tried a few simple things like using different USB connections or a different cable but nothing works.

I had a look in Disk Management but I’m not sure if I need to use it or even how to use it
The following relates to my passport:

My Passport (G:) Simple. Basic. NTFS. Healthy
WD Unlocker (H:) Simple. Basic. UDF. Healthy

Disk6 is My Passport (G:) The bar is blue
Disk7 not initialised, 1862.99GB Unallocated. The bar is black

CD-ROM1 WD Unlocker (H:) 30MB UDF Healthy The bar is blue

I think there is a problem with WD Unlocker.
Can someone please help?
Thank you

Hi @Bletchy,

Please refer to the article Setting up and using WD Security and WD Drive Utilities
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13880

Hi.
I’ve read through all that previously. No help.

I have the most upto date software from your website. It is installed. your software only finds older My Passports.
One of the problems is WD Unlocker. with my older My Passports, WD Unlocker activates on its own.
but with my new Passport, nothing happens.

I’m returning it to Amazon with the reason I need a drive with encryption, this does not have it.

Regards

1 Like

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

This didn’t help me either. Could the updated instructions be posted here?

@natronffl For some strange reason, after buying a new WD drive recently (deleting all the old apps first), then using the apps on the new drive (or did I download them?.. I can’t remember) the old drives I had trouble with all worked after I had formatted them.

Try deleting any old WD apps you have and install fresh ones from their website. Failing that, send your drive back to whichever vendor you used (Amazon have refunded me in the past with these drives) and tell them it’s not fit for purpose.