WD TV with USB 3.0?

When can be expect to see an updated version of WD TV that also supports USB 3.0 transfer speeds? Should make a bit of difference to playing BluRay off an external HD…

FelixE wrote:

When can be expect to see an updated version of WD TV that also supports USB 3.0 transfer speeds?

You can’t.

Changing software can’t make a USB2.0 port become a USB 3.0 port.   That’s all hardware.

And there’s no need for USB 3.0 for BD’s…  USB2.0 is 480 megabits per second, which is 8x greater than what is needed for full bluray rips…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

FelixE wrote:

When can be expect to see an updated version of WD TV that also supports USB 3.0 transfer speeds?

You can’t.

Changing software can’t make a USB2.0 port become a USB 3.0 port.   That’s all hardware.

And there’s no need for USB 3.0 for BD’s…  USB2.0 is 480 megabits per second, which is 8x greater than what is needed for full bluray rips…

I think he meant when is a new hardware device coming out. I’d like to know this too. USB 2.0 is really slow for transfering files to the hard drive on my WD TV Live Hub, and I’d love to be able to hook up a USB drive and copy the data off quicker.

Yeah, I can see that too, but since the typcial processor doesn’t come close to copying at the existing USB 2.0 speeds, I doubt 3.0 would be much improvement…  

Well obviously it would need a faster processor to go along with it :wink:

I’d just be glad for a decent processor to actually get the “gigabit” ethernet going…

Well half of me wants to say “What you get is what you pay for” the WD TV Live Hub and Streaming are incredibly cheap devices considering its the leading (in terms of features, things it supports, stability, etc.) player on the market. We really shouldnt complain considering what we are getting for the price.

The other half of me wants to say “It’s the best player on the market already - they likely feel there is no need for it yet”.

So pick whichever side of this you want…

I do agree however, that a bigger processor would be a huge boost for the unit. Compare what we have now to the original WD TV (not the Live) that came out 6 years ago or so. The difference is night and day.