WD TV will not let accept my Windows Share password - Stays on default 20 something asterisks

I bought my mom a recertified WD TV about a week ago and set everything up for her so she can watch video content from her PC. Everything went fine when I first did it. Meaning I was able to see her shared folder, type in her login credentials and bam. She could watch whatever was in the shared folder.

A week later she calls me and tells me she can no longer access her shared folder. I try to talk her through it on the phone with no sucess. I drive over there and sure enough, it no longer works. We reset the WD TV via the menu and the button on the bottom and tried again. Still no go. What happens is that you are presented with the username and password fields. The username is set to anomymous as defualt and the password field has around 20 asterisks. It take the username OK but no matter how many times we try, it will no fails to login to the network share and still shows those default 21 asterisks instead of 4 asterisks with is her password length. I am 1 million percent sure we are typing in the correct login info so that is not the issue.

Anyone have a clue of what could be causing this?

Also, when I first got the device for her, I came accross a page or something that mentioned that she is entitled to 30 of phone support and it starts counting the first time she make a call. I can’t seem to find that info now so if someone can steer me to it, I would appreciate it.

We did do the latest firmware update on the first day but I forget if it was before or after I logged into her shared folder with the videos.

Thanks

Igster wrote:

…What happens is that you are presented with the username and password fields. The username is set to anomymous as defualt and the password field has around 20 asterisks. It take the username OK but no matter how many times we try, it will no fails to login to the network share and still shows those default 21 asterisks instead of 4 asterisks with is her password length

The number of displayed asterisks is meaningless.   If the WD displayed the correct number of asterisks, than someone trying to “break in” would already have a clue as to the length of the correct password.   

Any security-conscious device will obfuscate passwords in similar manner.

if it’s just igter’s Mom … and it’s on a Home Network …

why even bother with a Password and Logon for Shares and just choose “Default” ?  :neutral_face:

is’nt Passwords and Logins for shares on a Home Network mainly for restricting access ? … like a pron collection ? :wink:

dunno ? i don’t do much Home Network Shares but, … i just click “ok” on the default Password and Logon and i’m in

Still looking for someone to address this malfunction. 

Igster wrote:

Still looking for someone to address this malfunction. 

What malfunction?   Your PC isn’t accepting the credentials you’re providing.

If it worked before and nothing changed on the WD, then something *must* have changed on the PC.