WD TV Play?

This Play unit was obviously created to fill in the line of players – the bottom end of the line – for price-sensitive people who still have not bought their first media player (and to compete with low-end Rokus, etc.) and most likely to sell by the thousands at Walmart-kind of places.  Nevertheless, we at the forum will be encouraged to help these newbies as well, and won’t that be fun!  Talk about network-challenged people; can’t wait till we meet this group!  :wink:

Seriously, this thing will not successfully compete with Roku for the simple fact that, unlike a Roku that only needs to connect to the router and TV, the Play unit, like with other WDTV players, must also connect to the home network, shared devices, etc. and most of us here know THAT is where the troubles begin for most WDTV users. 

After writing above, I  just googled this new unit – appears I was on Target with my assumptions.  (Yea, and Target –  another place we will likely see this player!)  Heavily discounted at these places, too.  Expect to see it priced at $50-60 when “on sale”.

See Consumer Reports article of yesterday, Feb. 13:   http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2013/02/wd-tv-play-a-simplified-70-streaming-player-that-has-roku-in-its-sights.html

Not for the serious user, (or serious discussion here,) for sure.

1 Like