WD TV Play Media Server Issue

I have three hard drives shared on my network through a Lacie LaPlug configured as a media server. On one of the drives when I try to access it you initially see all the folders listed then after about five seconds a message pop’s up, ‘There is no media content in this directory’, how can this be fixed?

I would also like to point out that I have two WD TV Live’s on my network, these have no problem at all accessing the same media, it’s just my WD TV Play that has an issue.

1 Like

Just to confirm:  When you access the Plugs on the WDTV Lives, you’re accessing via MEDIA SERVER, not NETWORK SHARE, correct?

Yes, thats correct.

1 Like

The first message I ever posted here concerns this issue.  If you have lots of data to access, the more it becomes an issue.

See this link to see if it helps you:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-General-Discussions/quot-There-is-no-media-in-the-current-folder-quot-Oh-yes-there/m-p/291234#M25797

1 Like

There is no Windows 7 involved and both my Live’s play just fine. It’s only the new Play that has a problem.

I think it’s a firmware issue or maybe an issue with the app that plays your own media.

Apologies for giving you a bum steer.  Just trying to help.

I believe the Play, unlike other WD players, does not access Network Shares; only media server types of things, and for example, if you are trying to access a drive with files that can only be played via network shares (e.g. ISO files), none of the WD players can see these files via media server (incl. the Play) and you will get the message you are getting.

Ya know, Marty, I don’t like to try to help belligerent people.  Of course I read your first message, but I have no idea what a Lacie LaPlug is, and it really doesn’t matter.  I was trying to help – so just help yourself.  :confounded:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/11/27/lacie-laplug-product-review/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/29/lacies-laplug-turns-your-usb-hdd-into-a-network-storage-device/

Unfortunately this is a user to user forum and this player is too new to know exactly how it connects to network drives and why it may connect to one drive and not another.

To be honest I wasn’t expecting help in this forum, I understand this is a new product and has a low user base at this point. I was hoping that WD monitors these forums and would investigate the issue.

I still think this is either firmware related or an issue with the app that plays your own media.

Rich, thanks for the links above.  Yer a good guy.

Duh, I shudda guessed immediately that the LaPlug is just another one of the “plug computers” out there; like the Pogoplug box I have.  (For those reading who want a quick description of plug computers, see this link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_computer )

Like my Pogoplug, the LaPlug (being a server) cannot make all files available for playing on the WD media players; mp3 and mp4 being true media files can be played, but a container file such as an ISO cannot be played.  It is a similar situation to when someone attempts to play an ISO file via the WD’s “Media servers”, because as we know, this just ain’t gonna happen, and we get a message that says there “is no media in the current folder”…  (re:  WD TV Live Media Player does not play ISO files from a WD network drive  )

I can’t do what the poster asks about with my WD Live Plus and Pogoplug, and it can’t be done with any other WD player and a Pogoplug – or LaPlug.

That said, the following can be done:

Via the PC, I can access files on my drives attached to the Pogoplug and play them on the PC; and this includes all true media files and container files such as ISO and MKV.  Since I have dedicated drives attached to the WD player, I don’t need to go to the Pogoplug for my media files, so I don’t.

Mobile devices are a bit different.  As an experiment, I have placed  ISO and MKV files on my plug’s drive, AND can actually play them on my iPad from the Pogoplug drive!  Here’s how it’s done:

*  Must have a fast wireless home network; preferably with N-5G connection, although 2.4G works pretty good, too.

*  Have the free VLC player installed on one’s PC.

*  The $2 app for the iPad called VLC Streamer must be installed on the iPad, and its companion program, VLC Streamer Helper has to be installed on the PC. (there is an Android version of VLC Streamer, too).

Since VLC can play ISO and MKV files directly from a drive, the VLC Streamer programs running on the iPad and PC causes VLC on the PC to begin playing whatever ISO or MKV is selected.   Then, VLC Streamer streams the video output from VLC to the iPad.

This all works pretty cool, because I can easily select to play ISO and MKV files from my stash of content on the WD’s attached drives.  When the PC is running VLC and the VLC Streamer Helper program on the PC, it is all very CPU intensive – the CPU on my PC maxes out at 100% usage the entire time of playing.

Now, if I want the ISO movie that’s playing on my iPad to be viewed on my TV, all I need to do is connect the (overpriced!) Apple A/V Digital Adapter to the iPad, hook an HDMI cable to the adapter, put the other end into the TV, and voila, the movie is now on the TV!

All this has been accomplished through the local home network.  I have not tried this from afar on a different internet connection elsewhere, but it could possibly work, assuming the other internet connection is a fast one like mine (maybe 20 mbps or greater).   If there is a problem, it is because under this condition, my home system will be UPloading the stream to the internet, and since uploads from my Comcast are set at 6 mbps I could experience heavy buffering/stalling on the iPad.  Another problem might be that I cannot access VLC this way – VLC Streamer may only work on the local network.   Even though I have not yet done this with VLC Streamer, I have accessed my m4v movies from home I’ve made for the iPad through the internet via other iPad apps I have (e.g. Pogoplug app).  It works well when connected to a decent bandwidth wireless connection at the other end.

All a bit of a Rube Goldberg setup, but it does work.

A parting side note to Mr. Marty:  So, you see, I do know more about your situation than you gave me credit for.  Ya know Marty, these were your first posts here, and you did not get off to a good start with me.  Next time you post/reply, be more polite, please.  We are users helping users, and we all can learn from one another.  Your question helped me understand more about what is going on within my own system.  Thanks for the question!

martythebrit wrote:

To be honest I wasn’t expecting help in this forum, I understand this is a new product and has a low user base at this point. I was hoping that WD monitors these forums and would investigate the issue.

I still think this is either firmware related or an issue with the app that plays your own media.

If you want to contact WD Support you can contact them directly. 

As I discussed above, it doesn’t appear this is the case.

I don’t know why you are so hung up on ISO’s, I never mentioned them and I don’t use them.

My two WD TV Live’s play every media file on my three LaPlug drives without issue, it’s just my WD TV Play won’t access the folders on one particular drive.

I still think this is a firmware or app player issue.

My previous comment still stands, if you don’t fully understand the problem don’t try and help, it just adds confusion.

By the way, I post on many forums, not just this one. If I don’t fully understand the question I won’t answer it, or I’ll research it, then if comfortable will answer.

>>>>    My two WD TV Live’s play every media file on my three LaPlug drives without issue, it’s just my WD TV Play won’t access the folders on one particular drive.

Is the Play able to open and access some or none of the folders on the drive in question?

Assuming the Play can access the other drives, then maybe there is a problem with the particular drive.  Have you removed the drive, put it on your PC and scanned it for errors yet?  That often can be a problem; errors on the drive’s file structure which scanning can usually correct.

BTW, what types of media files are you accessing on your drives (please give file extensions)?

It won’t access any folders on the drive, as soon as I try I get the error message.

I went a step further, I formatted the drive in question then copied the media back to it, still no luck.

All my files are MKV’s, MP4’s and AVI’s.

>>>   It won’t access any folders on the drive, as soon as I try I get the error message.

Hmmm, based upon what you say, (and assuming for now the problem is not coming from the Play) it is looking to me more like either a drive or perhaps a LaPlug port issue.  So, easy test:  swap the drive to a different USB port with a drive that works there OK and see what results.

>>>   I went a step further, I formatted the drive in question then copied the media back to it, still no luck.

OK, that should have taken care of any disk errors in the file structure.  Do you have another drive you could put in it’s place temporarily with some similar folders and files on it to see what results?

>>>   All my files are MKV’s, MP4’s and AVI’s.

Typical stuff, although the MKV files are container files (like ISO files) and they possibly could be causing havoc; not sure – are the MKV files only on this particular drive and not the other two?

Well, that’s my take for now.  See if other people chip in with ideas.

Just some food for thought.  I have simular experiences with the SMP when the media library is enabled AND my NAS has hibernation/sleep enabled.  For that reason I only enable the media library when I add new movies and want to get metadata. Otherwise I only access via Linux shares(NFS). I believe the media library network interface doesn’t have enough wait time for the NAS to spinup and respond before being flagged as disconnected/empty/nonexistant.  I know the Play doesn’t have the option of accessing the NAS shares directly and must use the Media Library and DLNA server but as a possible test/possible solution you could temporarily disable any sleep on the the NAS and then do a complete (remove and reapply power) reboot of the Play. If you get and keep access on subesequent reconnects, you have a temporary solution until such time as the WD support techs can investigate and implement a fix.

Here’s some more bad news and I only add it to this thread because it’s an issue with a media server. PlayOn is a media server. The WDTV Play will NOT play streams sent from PlayOn Media Server on it’s current Firmware. It IS a firmware issue. I don’t know if it is by design or not. When I try to play a stream from PlayOn the Play eventually responds with it not being the correct file type and to check the owner’s manual. ALL my other WD units work fine with PlayOn.