WD TV PLAY cannot find any shared network content

Ive followed the instructions here to enable SMB network file sharing from my mac osx computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kLB7B7vChk

and shared a folder with a few video files in various formats.

i can use other apple mac osx computers (running OSX 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8) and all of them can see the shared folder and play the videos inside it (no password necessary, guest access is enough)

however when i click MY STORAGE on my WD TV PLAY (connected to the same network as the other computers i mentioned) i see this error:

SELECT STORAGE
No Storage connected. Please connect a USB storage or network storage to browse and play content.

What is the procedure for debugging this problem?

Quite simply, the Play can only see media servers and not network shares. You will need a media server set up on your network in order to see and play your media files.

I was really dissapointed to see my brand new WD TV Play didn’t do this either. The literature on the site is very mileading. Why would you even release a product that doesn’t do this when the the TV Live does?

Luckily this piece of software patched it for me.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30399/ps3-media-server

Works like a dream. Its perhaps not as elegant as just accesing a folder called “Movies” or something which you may setup like on the TV Live, but I suppose an alias could be stuck at root level and accesed there.

I hope it works for you too,

fourcolourblack wrote:

Why would you even release a product that doesn’t do this when the the TV Live does?

The Play is $20-$30 cheaper than the Live.

The Play only support for DNLA media sharing… it’s correctly report in manual (pdf downloadable from wd site) and it’s correctly report in other thread in this community.

Usless continue to open newest thread every time whit same question.

This is interesting, because my WDTV PLay is setup to access my network via shares and works quite happily most of the time. I do have Media Centre too but do not run it. The issue I have is that when I add files or folders to the share, only some of them are picked up by WDTV. The files are all in the same MP4 format, and it seems to be totally random as to what is seen and what is not. Another oddity being - the files not recognised can be copied to a USB drive and plugged in to the WDTV, where they are seen just fine. If I then unplug the USB, the files are then picked up on the share…

I’d really like to know why the WDTV only picks up some files and folders, but not others, and how I can get it to refresh the list?

I’ve given up with my TV Play, and returned it. This has to be the biggest piece of **bleep** WD have ever made. I’m very experienced with codecs, and video formats, and test dozens on combinations to this ths device while streaming over my network. The only thing that would ever play is AVI files with MPEG 2/4 Codec / Xvid. 

Oddly enough, MP4 files with H264 Codec play when a USB or drive is mounted, but never streaming.

For that complete unreliability, I’ve given up and returned it for a WD TV Live.

I could quite happily rewrite the page in the manual about supported formats abd cross off what actually doesn’t play, as opposed to what is claimed does. False advertising Western Digital.

SecretBob wrote:

This is interesting, because my WDTV PLay is setup to access my network via shares

Er, no.  Not possible.  You’re accessing your system via DLNA, not network shares.

SecretBob wrote:

I’d really like to know why the WDTV only picks up some files and folders, but not others, and how I can get it to refresh the list?

You don’t.  It’s just listing what the server is telling it to list.  The issue is with the DLNA server you’re using not indexing the files in a timely manner.  You’ll need to figure out what DLNA server you’re actually using before we can help you with that…

fourcolourblack wrote:

I could quite happily rewrite the page in the manual about supported formats abd cross off what actually doesn’t play, as opposed to what is claimed does. False advertising Western Digital.

Or not. It plays MKVs with DTS sound (muted) for me and also mp4 and AVI. It all depends on what’s inside these containers.

“It all depends on what’s inside these containers”

My point exacly, I’ve exported my own video, and reformed existing video with the exact Codec and Video Container formats apparetly supported on p145 of this manual…

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705073.pdf

I still say bull**bleep**. I’ve yet to read an honest review of this product online, so who knows what everyone was trying to watch on it.

Why not put up the text output from one your files using mediainfo.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en 

If you don’t want the extras untick the boxes.

Hello  TonyPh12345 thanks for the reply. I guess that’s my misunderstanding of network share. To get the WDTV working and seeing the data on my PC, I followed instructions to set up the home network in Windows 7 network sharing settings, which I assumed was equivalent to a network share.

The advance settings are set:

Turn on network discovery

turn on file and printer sharing

turn off public folder sharing

media streaming on - configured for teh folder hosting my video media

file sharing connections set to 128 bit encryption

password protection off

The video folder properties are also set to share, with everyone added with full access.

It just makes no sense that I can copy two files in, one gets picked up instantly, the other is still not recognized a week later, despite numerous hard resets (both pc & wdtv powered off and on)… A couple did seem to show up after being played from a USB, but that doesn’t seem to work for all either:cry: The WDTV was purchased top save me copying everything to USB and plugging in to the TV…

If anyone has any ideas, I’m very happy to hear them.

I think I’ve resolved this for the most part. Apparently it’s Windows Media Player that does the indexing. this needs to be running in order to update the libraries. I ran this up and the missing videos all appeared in my WDTV listing.

However, I have since added a new file to the library and for some odd reason Windows Media Player does not add it to to the video library, despite the file sitting in the same physical folder as the other video’s. Instead it adds it to the “other media” folder, which is not listed on my WDTV. So looks like Windows Media Player is the culprit, just need to figure out how to get it to update the file to the correct library, which according to another site may be the result of a corrupt library file. Will remove that and see what happens when it rebuilds the list.