WD TV Media Player - NoVideoOverlays.zip - Should this work?

Continuing the discussion from Need custom theme that doesn't display subtitle/audio window:

Hi, I am new to WD TV Media Player (WDBYMN0000NBK-VESN) but found quickly that the information displayed each time a button is pressed is a little annoying. (Ex: when trying to read text on screen using “pause”+“OK”+“pause”+“pause”+“OK”+“pause”+“OK”…)

I found this post with the “NoVideoOverlays.zip” and decided to try it. Unfortunately, it is not working on my WD TV Media Player. The theme is obviously different, but it does not remove anything when I press “pause” (or any other button).

Is this “NoVideoOverlays.zip” supposed to work on a WD TV Media Player ?

Any suggestions or alternate solution would be appreciated.

Dan

These theme edits do work at the time they were posted.

Unfortunately WD change and break things when releasing firmware updates.

I’ll try to have a look later today (can’t promise) … but you must be running latest Firmware 1.03.07

1 Like

Yes, I have the latest firmware Release 1.03.07 (4/20/2016).

Thanks for the follow-up ! Really appreciated !

Dan

Ok then … i just tried it, Works Fine :slight_smile:

Most likely you did’nt follow the instructions and skipped the last step …

To install the theme, download the zip file to your PC, open your web browser (I don’t recommend using IE8 or 9, there have been issues),
then type your SMP’s IP address to open the Web UI.

Step1: Type in your password (the default is “admin”), click on the box next to “I accept”

Step2: click on LOGIN, then click on “Appearance”, then click on
“Browse” and navigate to where you saved the “NoVideoOverlays.zip” file,
then click on “Open”.

Step3: Click on “Submit”, then once the Web UI finishes uploading the theme,
on your WDTV press “Setup” on your remote, select “Appearance”, then
select “User Interface Themes”, select “NoVideoOverlays” then when
prompted select Apply theme

For some reasons, doing exactly these steps successfully does not give me the results expected.

Just to be sure, I have used the NoVideoOverlays.zip file from : NoVideoOverlays

Is this the right file ?

I tested using this link …

What are you playing ? … this only modifies playback of local and streaming files

The only thing i can think of is … ISO and DVD VOB use a different .xml (which i could modify as well)

Basically … provide as much info about your setup and what you’re doing

BTA: reading your 1st post … my mod behaves like this …

Press “OK” to play the file … while the file is playing … Press “PLAY/PAUSE” button to Pause Playback … then to resume Playback Press “PLAY/PAUSE” again

I think that you just found the problem… Yes, I have been testing with DVD VOB files only.

If you could provided the equivalent .xml for this format, that would be appreciated

If the details for that format is available (something like that post:: Why does the info bar show up after pause? - #8 by JoeySmyth ), that would be super.

Thanks!
Dan

ok :slight_smile:

I’m hoping dvd_navigation.xml still controls DVD/ISO playback

I haven’t tested this … (i don’t have any DVD/ISO’s) … but give it whirl :slight_smile:

(just added the extra xml and copy pasted from the other ones)

NoDVDVideoOverlays

Yes, The last file provided gives the expected results with VOB files. Great ! Thanks !

Dan

Hi - glad to see current posts on the NoVideoOverlays.zip theme. It works as expected for playing videos, however when viewing photo galleries, there is still the same box which pops up every time one presses play or pause (for automated slideshow).

Could you provide a photo_run.xml sample that can be added to this zip-file explaining the elements as for video_run.xml? This would be an enormous help and would save having to manually press forward or back to view photos. Thanks in advance.

they’re called picture_run … and there’s a bunch of them

and i don’t know which one controls the slideshow feature
(maybe picture_run.xml perhaps)

you could probably modify them in a similar fashion to the video_run.xml ? i suppose ?
(anyways, sorry, i’m re-retired from theming … you’ll have to mess around with it yourself)