WD TV Media Player: HD Audio decoding and settings

Hi

I have the latest WD TV Media Player (WDBPUF0000NBK). I have few questions regarding this device.

1. Does this device really support decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA audo and output all the multi channel LPCM audio through HDMI?

2. If it does support decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA audo, what happens if I connect this device using the digital optical w.r.t audio output?

a) Does it decode HD audio and output as LPCM audio? If yes how many channels?

b) If it does not decode HD audio, in what format will it output the audio considering that optical connection does not support HD audio bit rate?

1. My Samsung H6400 tv does support DTS and Dolby decoding but when I try to enable digital pass through HDMI, the WD TV setup recognizes only PCM. What could be the issue?

BTW, I am playing these files from the connected external HDD.

Thanks,

Venkat

Hi there,

I have not tried this, but i would like to know if you are trying to play those files through the network or with a drive connected to the unit? Lets see if another user can share some tips and information on this matter.

Hi ArMak,

Thank you for your reply.

I am playing those files from the connected external HDD.

just my 2 cents … (i am in no way an audio expert … and not sure if this post is helpful)

But, my setup via Optical Digital Audio … testing Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and DTS-MA 5.1 results …

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/DTS-HD-MA/m-p/836358#M1744

and read Tony’s answer to my post :smiley:

1 Like

JoeySmyth wrote:

So, i guess the question i’m asking is … does the DTS-HD (DTS-MA) on a Non Capable Receiver “No Sound” only effect the HDMI connection ?

Yes, because optical never supported DTS-HD MA, so the WD is forced to send Core Only regardless of the flavor of     

DTS when using optical.

I think for the HDMI pass through as well, we can get into manual detection of the receiver capabilities and enable only the non HD variants of DD & DTS and hope WD will be forced to pass only the non HD core streams here also.

For the TV setup issue, may be I will check on that or may not be an issue anymore for me as I am expecting my first receiver i.e. Denon AVR-X510BT which does support all of these audio formats in couple days :slight_smile: