"Myself and the person above you have made playlists.
If you or others cannot get them to work then you have obviously made them incorrectly.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet particularity when its a 3rd party quote."
I don't. And am less likely to from those who claim to have all the answers.
I too have made playlists. The issue is that it is awkward, and the correct method, if there is one (possibly it, as a few people's experiences like the one who had to "prime" the system, is simply "wonky") is not documented and unnecessarily complicated and incompatible.
This is what I did to get all my playlists to show and work. (Possibly our misunderstanding is that some of you only have a few playlists, try a few, and if they work think all is well. I have over 250 GB of music files, and at the moment, 358 playlists. Thank heaven for Notepad++ and it's ability to change hundreds of files at once.)
All the playlists have to be in the main Music folder. That is from my computer \Wdtvlive\USB_Drive\Music.
Each line of the playlists needs to start with the next folder down. With my structure that means a typical line might be:
CDs2/ClassicalPeriod/Album/Artist/01 First piece.mp3
No / or ../ at the beginning of the line, but see below. And all playlists must be encoded UTF-8. If they are ANSI some of the selections will be missing from some of them. Notepad++ can change any playlist back and forth from ANSI to UTF-8. Also there are free apps on the web to mass convert a large number of text files from ANSI to UTF-8. But if you have a large number of playlists I strongly suggest you save a folder of them in ANSI as you may want them for something else in future and I didn't notice any free UTF-8 to ANSI apps out there.
Now, with all playlists edited properly and in the Music folder, just getting the TV Live to recognize the USB drive can be problematical, but that's been discussed in another thread and is a separate issue. I wound up doing this:
Turn off Media Library. Turn off then unplug WD Live. Plug in USB drive. Plug WD back in. Go to music and make sure it sees the drive. Then turn on the Media Library. Go to the drive and you'll get a searching message and the light will start blinking. When the light stops blinking, I find that about 2/3 of the playlists will work, the rest give a "no media" message. You can tell which playlists will work in a long list because the working ones will show their size, the non-working ones won't.
Now the trick is to turn off the Music Library and repeat this whole procedure a few times and eventually it had all my playlists working.
Simple intuitive process, right? Great out-of-the-box experience.
Oh, and by the way if you want to use these same playlists on a network share drive, you do need to put the / at the start of each line. Again the playlists need to be in that top Music folder, not in a folder under it called Playlists! But otherwise the network shares do the playlists with much less hassle and work fine immediately.
I use a network drive, Twonkyvision, and a D-link DSM-320 in our living room. I bought WD TV Live for my room. I am able to use the same network drive for both but it's a bit complicated. Watch out for that UTF-8 encoding I mentioned before. Windows, Twonky, and most Multi-tagger programs default to ANSI. Also Twonky is better without the / at the beginning of lines, although it doesn't care whether you use \ or /. So I set up the Twonky with its playlists in a Playlists folder and redo the database overnight, leaving any auto-rescan off. Then I copy the UTF-8 set of files to the Music directory and Twonky won't know about them. Now the living room system works and WD TV can use the attached usb, or the mentioned network drive as either a Media Server or a Network share, plus a few other things on my network, and all work even if all three computers in the house are off. In fact, I have it wired so that both the NAS-Twonky server will work for the living room and of course the attached USB drive for the WD in my room even if the network is down.
Yes, I know my way around these things and can generally get them to work one way or other. I hope my particular experiences may be helpful to others. Unfortunately, I've only got this all up for a few days so whether further problems will be encountered or the whole thing will come crashing down I couldn't say.
And when a manufacturer poorly implements and even more poorly documents an advertised feature and then says this is "by design" they ought to be called on it. And when people haven't gotten it to work (yet) it would be fairer to say they haven't guessed right yet rather that they "obviously made them incorrectly". And don't be too sure you've done everything correctly until you've made at least a few dozen playlists, made sure they all work, and check that the number of selections in them matches between how many are there on the WD and how many in the actual file.