WD TV Live won't let me register the unit

Every time I try to register my WD TV Live using the built-in function to do so, I immediately get an error message to the effect of, ‘Check that your device is connected to the network’. This is rather odd given that I can play back media from my fileserver, watch YouTube videos, etc. Firmware is 1.01.24. The only thing I can think of is that the email address I’m attempting to register it to has a dot in the username, and some kindof input sanitisation may be having a problem with that. In any event, I would like to know if there’s a fix for this as I’d like to get it on file with WD for warranty purposes.

I would see if you can register via the net directly without using the WDTV.

While I appreciate the suggestion, whether or not I am able to register via some other method really isn’t the point.

This is a feature that should work. It doesn’t. And frankly, it’s representative of what I’m perceiving to be WD’s approach to the unit: just get it out the door and use the customer as the the QA department.

While I could possibly tolerate this if it appeared that WD were paying even the slightest bit of attention to their customers and improving the product as a result, I just can’t in this instance. The best they can do is a forum where every idea is automatically marked ‘acknowledged’? How the hell can a submission be acknowledged if someone hasn’t even looked at it?

When someone at WD *does* actually bother to pay attention, the result is usually a condescending reply to the effect of, ‘WD cares about its customers; thank you so much for your valuable input’. But it’s not translating out into a better product.

You’ll have to pardon me for going off on this tangent, but I find it inexcusable that (from what little I can garner regarding their position from reading these forums) WD is not making any concerted effort to improve the usability or stability of this device.

Dude.  You asked for a fix, and a fix was given to you:  REGISTER ONLINE.

Now, apparently, you just want to rant, instead of actually seeking help with an issue.

Don’t be a troll.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Dude.  You asked for a fix, and a fix was given to you:  REGISTER ONLINE.

Now, apparently, you just want to rant, instead of actually seeking help with an issue.

Don’t be a troll.

So what you’re saying is that, as a consumer, I should just accept the fact that WD supplied the box with a broken function, or that there are a number of glaring issues with the device that point to a lax attitude towards thinking through the development process?  This device could be a lot better; check some of the other posts on this forum for evidence of that.

If you’re happy being stuck with a piece of hardware that has shortcomings in some frankly inexcusable areas, you’re entitled to your opinion in that regard.  For my part, I want it to improve - but not seeing WD make any visible effort to address the concerns that THEIR OWN CUSTOMERS have raised is *not* helping my frustration with this device one bit.

If you don’t like it, feel free to ignore my post.  But don’t start with accusations of trolling when I’m dealing with the exact same set of problems as everyone else who has bought one of these and registered their disappointment with it.

Just a friendly reminder for you, guys, to keep it courteous. 

casm23,

I’m checking to see if there are some reasons you are experiencing this issue with the WD TV Live. 

This issue was forwarded to engineering.  They have not been able to replicate the issue with the 1.01.24 firmware appilied.

Their recomendation was to try your device on another network to rule out a possible network issue.  If the issue followes to another network, then unit replacement is recomended as there may be an issue with the actual unit.

James_K wrote:

This issue was forwarded to engineering.  They have not been able to replicate the issue with the 1.01.24 firmware appilied.

Their recomendation was to try your device on another network to rule out a possible network issue.  If the issue followes to another network, then unit replacement is recomended as there may be an issue with the actual unit.

Well, I’ve tested it on two separate networks at this point (T-Mobile’s data network and over at a local coffee shop), and I’m getting the same results.  If I did get a defective unit, that may go some way towards explaining some of the other issues I’ve seen with it.

What’s our next step for an RMA?

If the unit is less then 30 days from date of purchase, depending on where you purchased it from, most places will allow for return of the unit for exchange or refund.  If you are beyond the 30 days or beyond your return policy, then please see the link below which will take you to our warranty page.

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?aspsid=311293018&custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en

James_K wrote:

If the unit is less then 30 days from date of purchase, depending on where you purchased it from, most places will allow for return of the unit for exchange or refund.  If you are beyond the 30 days or beyond your return policy, then please see the link below which will take you to our warranty page.

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?aspsid=311293018&custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en

• *> Annoyingly, the unit was purchased via mail-order (I thought it had come from Best Buy, but as it turns out it didn’t).  That will be fun to deal with, I’m sure.> FYI: Firmware update to 1.02.21 did not solve the issue.  The unit has been reset to factory multiple times, both before and after the firmware upgrade, and without that making any difference.> The link to warranty support does not work, giving the error, “There was a problem accessing your requested link. Either your browser is not enabled for cookies (session level) or you were trying to access a link without going through the proper steps. If your browser is enabled to accept session cookies, you can use WDC’s online services by starting from one of the links in the “Online Warranty Services” section in http://support.wdc.com/.”  Cookies are most definitely enabled in my browser.  This is not exactly filling me with confidence.>

casm23 wrote:

James_K wrote:

• *> The link to warranty support does not work, giving the error, “There was a problem accessing your requested link. Either your browser is not enabled for cookies (session level) or you were trying to access a link without going through the proper steps. If your browser is enabled to accept session cookies, you can use WDC’s online services by starting from one of the links in the “Online Warranty Services” section in http://support.wdc.com/.”  Cookies are most definitely enabled in my browser.  This is not exactly filling me with confidence.

Try:

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/rmainfo.asp?custtype=end&lang=en

-edit-

Just tried registering mine via the Live and it worked fine (1.02.21 firmware).

Out of interest I had no problem in registering my unit, so it might have something to do with your email address, as you say, or you have a faulty unit.