WD TV Live with Google Home

I have a WD TV Live which has a standard WD HD attached to it. In the coming months I am thinking of getting a Google Home device. Has anyone been able to use these two together to play movies/music and pictures from the Hard Drive? I am just trying to see if the WD Media Player can work with Google Home before I have to go and get something like a Chromecast.

A Google Home only plays music. I use apps on my iOS devices that have the casting ability. I can cast music to the Home and to a Chromecast from files on my NAS server or network connected drive, like one on a WDTV. The “trick” is that the iOS app must be able to play music from network connected drives. Then the app must have google casting ability or even Bluetooth.
Same can be done with Amazon Echo device family, but only via BT.

Basically I want to control my WD tv live using the Google Home…ie “Hey Google, play U2 from my media player.” This will then start that song/artist(stored on my drive connected to my WD TV Live) and play it on my TV/Sound System(Already connected to the media player).

Nope, a GH cannot cast to, but another device can cast to it. It is a receiver, not a transmitter.

So if I have songs and movies on an external hard drive, I won’t be able to play them just using a Google home and Chromecast setup?

You got it, unless you have a tablet or smartphone with a casting app as I have described above. Although, if you have the Google Chrome browser on a PC, you can cast from the browser to GH aor Chromecast.

Do some googling to see other possible ways. Just know that you have to cast or send stuff to GH and Chromecast, they cannot just go get media themselveswith a voice command.

Ok pretty much got it.Thanks Mike for all your assistance, it’s been great.