WD TV Live with external hard drive

Hello, I just purchased the WD TV Live, model WDBHG70000NBK-HESN, and I’m using it with an external WD My Book 2TB hard drive. My question has to do with powering off the hard drive itself. I eject it from the TV Live and then turn the TV Live box off but my hard drive seems like it just stays on. The light on the drive blinks slower than when it’s being read so I’m assuming that its in some sort of power save mode or something but I still don’t like the idea of it being on all the time. Is this supposed to be happening? Also, It seems like when you eject the hard drive you must physically unplug and plug it back in for the TV Live to pick it up again. Am I doing something wrong? Please help. Thanks!

You’re in the wrong forum.   The WDBHG70000NBK is the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, not the WDTV Live HD.

That forum is here:   http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive_streaming

But to answer your question, after you eject the drive, hold the power button down for longer than 3 seconds and it will fully power down.

Otherwise, the WD goes to “Standby,” and if you leave the drive attached (unejected) the contents are still available via the network.