WD TV Live will not accept Windows XP user/pwd

Hey There:

Just purchased a WD TV Live, easy install.  It browses and sees 2 PC’s on my wireless network.  Note that it does not list actual shared folders, just lists the names of the 2 pc’s.  One pc, a windows XP SP3, has a WD ELements USB3 HDD that I use for media storage - I shared (wide open permissions) a folder on this drive.  When I select the windows share, it asks me to login,  and offers up the default login screen with the “anonymous” user.  I established a user on my WinXP box named anonymous with no pwd.  That did not work.  I tried to use exisitng usernames (Administrator, family, guest) but no luck.  In Admin, I set security on the PC so that user/pwd login were not required for any of the users, however, WD Live still wants me to enter user/pwd credentials.

Maybe I’m approaching this from the wrong direction - I have been trying to back off security from the Windows side; maybe I should be looking at a setting I can make on the WD Live box.  I tried using a setting on WD Live in Settings where you you tell it to not use pwd protection when logging into Windows network shares - that doesn;t seem to work.

Anybody got any hints, workarounds etc. ?? I’ve had a peek around the forum(s) but haven’t really seen the direct answer to my question.  But, if it  has been answered, please direct me to it.

Thanks in advance.

JA

Setting up  the shares is not the easiest thing … especially when it is not working for the first time.

What is with your workgroup ?

The workgroup is as important as usr and pw,

to be sure create a new workgroup in the win XP and the same workgroup in WD tv LIVE. 

Thanks for the reply to my inquiry.  I think I have the network set up correctly, -  all shares and the WDLIVE are in same workgroup named “Workgroup”

Just delete the workgroup in WD setup and in your windows and give it another/different name.

Then delete the login-information for networkshare shares in the setup.

save.

Check access after this, does it help ?

1 Like