WD TV Live + WD Live Drive + WD My Book = video jitter

I have been using the WD TV Live media player for over a year now. I have a 2 TB WD Live Drive and a 2 TB My book both connected to the WD TV Live player.

when the capacity of Live Drive was less than 50% I had no problems but now that I  have around 1.5 TB of media on it I notice that the files that used to play without any problems now viewing the same files the video jitter and gets stuck. I have to copy the media to the USB drive then they play without any issues.

Does any have a solution to my problem. I am using the latest firmware for both the Live driver and live TV

Thanks in advance.

Performace is expected to decrease when a drive is nearly full so I’m not surprised, then again it can be something else. What is your current network configuration?

1 Like

The WD Live drive is 2 TB, the capacity went up to 1.5 TB that’s when the prblem started, now that i have removed some files the capacity is 1.2 TB. Can we defrag the frive? the network is connect to a 100 MB switch

Another issue that i have noticed is when evry the USB disk connect to the WD TV live player is conected to a PC/Laptop windoes 7, Win 7 will ask to scan the drive for any errors. THe drive is always disconnected when the play is off.

cedo147 wrote:

The WD Live drive is 2 TB, the capacity went up to 1.5 TB that’s when the prblem started, now that i have removed some files the capacity is 1.2 TB. Can we defrag the frive? the network is connect to a 100 MB switch

I don’t know if you can defrag a NAS with the EXT3 (Linux) file system, Windows sure won’t do it unless you have specialized tools. Moving to a Gigabit network will help as well so you can at least strain the maximum output.

cedo147 wrote:

Another issue that i have noticed is when evry the USB disk connect to the WD TV live player is conected to a PC/Laptop windoes 7, Win 7 will ask to scan the drive for any errors. THe drive is always disconnected when the play is off.

You need to use the “eject” button on the remote even when the player is off, or the data can get damaged.

1 Like

Will try if I can get a gigabit switch. but whould this really make a difference. When the Live Drive capacity was less than 50 % the files played properly, when the capacity goes up to 75% then the video jitters. so don’t think the network upgrade to 1 GB would really help.

As for the “Win 7 will ask to scan the drive for any errors” I downgraded the WDTV love firmware to  Version 1.05.04_V and now I donot get the error any more. looks like Version 1.06.15_V   has a bug which WD needs to fix. Also disabled the wdtv live to check for upgrades by blocking it’s access to internet via my router