WD TV Live, version 1.01.24, Firmware Update

willynanita wrote:

I just got my WD TV Live and it came with firmware .12 but the available update is .17 not .24.

Is .17 a requirement to be able to update to .24?

What was the firmware that was messing up units?  I don’t want to damage my new player, but want the new .24 firmware.

Firmware 0.12 when applied over the internet was the unit bricker.

Firmware 0.17 overhauls the update manager, so it’s probably mandatory before you can safely apply firmware 0.24.

Hope that helps.  :)

I was able to update from 1.01.11 directly to 1.01.24 by downloading the new version to a usb memory stick.  The update appears to have been successful.

In surround-sound audio, there is a noticeable video delay when each file is initially started, but it appears to decrease to very small levels after a certain amount of time (perhaps a minute).  It is not perfect, but it is much better - to the point that I will now consider subjecting my family to this device.  Skipping around in the file does not appear to break the improved sync.  I have not tried rewinding back to the beginning and testing if the beginning is fully sync’d then.

However, I can no longer access shared network folders.  I can access media servers just fine, but the network shares option is grayed out and I cannot select it  and browse the computers on my network.  This is really frustrating because the same computer is providing the media server and the network shares, and they are accessible from other computers on the network.  Edit: I should add that the network share feature worked great w/ 1.01.11.

In short, this is a useful step forward despite the youTube-focused release notes.  Now I have to decide if this gives me enough hope to not sell this device…

same problem here. since update 1.01.24 I am unable to access my network shared folders (wifi)

i have to downgrade !!!

Hi, I have WD TV LIVE in Russian and I would lie to make a search within youtube not only in English but in Russian too. Can any one tell me if it is possible or I will have to wait for anoher realise if it will include this stuf, thanx

pascal33 wrote:

same problem here. since update 1.01.24 I am unable to access my network shared folders (wifi)

i have to downgrade !!!

Before doing anything drastic after a firmware upgrade always try using the reset button on the side.

The first rule when using digital electronics is to reboot or reset.

Same problem here with the wireless connection…

I’ve already tried mulitple computers and resetting but no luck!

This is a new bug…

Downgraded to 1.01.17 + reset button

SAME THING !

Access to internet (youtube) but NO MORE ACCESS to shared folders

everything was fine before this 1.01.24 firmware update

Please help

working again (1.01.17)

Vista network settings was changed, i think because of the latest vista update (network changed from private to public without of course files sharing)

So perhaps 1.01.24 was not the problem !!

To other people who have problems with 1.01.24 and file sharing : Verify your network settings . It’s seems there was a microsoft update the same time the WD player firmware update !!!

In 1.01.24, I am never offered an opportunity to enter the username/password for accessing networks shares, which is what I used before. I can turn auto logon on/off and clear network login settings in the network settings window, but I cannot set the network login settings anywhere (in the network settings, or when I try to browse the network shares).

Pascal33 has a good recommendation to check the network share settings on the networked computers, but I do not see any changes on my Win7 systems running the network shares.

I have not tried enabling shares without passwords and seeing if WDTV Live can access them.  Hopefully I’ll get a chance to try that this weekend.

UPDATE:  If I turn off the “password protected setting” in the Win7 advanced options, I can access the network shares again.  This is curious since I am using a password-protected account to login.  If I disable requiring password-protected accounts, enter the username/password, then renable requiring password-protected accounts, I lose access even though the WD TV Live knows the username & password.

In short, you can enable network access again, but at a less secure level.  I guess we can’t have a firmware update without breaking something that worked before :cry:

1. for network dropping problem: -

change the workgroup name of your home network to “WORKGROUP”. usually the default is “MSHOME” . dont ask me why. i read it somewhere and it works

1. for the problem of stuttering video play over the network:-

instead of accessing the network shares…use tversity media server on the host pc .

i have the transcoding off. let it detect the device automatically and it read the wd hd live as a  ps3

plays all files over the network smoothly. mkv, m2ts, mp4 etc.

can’t play subtitles anymore.  Anyone else?

Subtitles are working fine here.

anshu22 wrote:

1. for network dropping problem: -

change the workgroup name of your home network to “WORKGROUP”. usually the default is “MSHOME” . dont ask me why. i read it somewhere and it works

I am having network drops in Windows 7, how do I rename to Workgroup if I am using the Homegroup networking?

It happens with TVersity and with network shares, Sometimes I can’t watch a full movie over the network.

Willy.

Subtitles work fine here, too (in MKV files, anyway - haven’t tested any others).

To change your workgroup name, you need to go to the “Computer Name” tab in the “System Properties” window. One way to do this is: Control Panel → System and Security → System → Advanced system settings. Then click the “Network ID” button to change the workgroup name. You will be required to logout and log back in or restart the computer.

I updated to 1.01.24 without issue, via usb flash drive.  I noticed the changes to the YouTube interface.  I haven’t noticed any negative impacts to other functions.

The Video DLNA Renderer issue is still not resolved, however you can push (‘Play To’) videos and see the video if you set the WDTV Live to view a photo before you start the video push via Win7.

I continue to look forward to future issue resolution and enhancments - Please keep them coming… 

Hi All

After upgrading to 1.01.24 firmware, I am not able to play any video file which has MPEG or MPG extension, only file I can play at this moment is *.avi

whats wrong with this new firmware? I had no issue with 1.0.1.17 firmware Should I downgrade back to 1.01.17

Any help is appreciated. thanks

If I upgrade to .24 and I have problems what is the correct procedure to downgrade? I cannot find it anywhere.

After the new update via internet (ethernet port) my player can not play any kind of video format any more ! I get the exact same message for all kinds of different video files (AVI, DivX , DivX HD, Avi HD, MPEG-2 HD, MP4-HD , MKV) …

The error message reads :

" Unable to play the selected file. Please refer to the user manual for a list of supported formats. "

No matter how many resets back to factory defaults it just wont solve anything.

I even disconnected all the cables and power supply for 5 minutes and nothing changed after the reboot.

Can I downgrade back to a previous firmware version ?

Thank you in Advance.

Athens/Greece.

Just so that everyone here is aware, there is an underlying network issue with network DLNA Media Server access that has absolutely nothing to do with Windows.

I have a router based Media Server (WRT610N) and with all of my devices switched off, except the WRT610N, its connected USB 1.5Tb disk and the HDTV Live, the HDTV Live will drop the network connection every 30 minutes (exactly) when playing MP3s.

This is with no PCs powered on, so has absolutely nothing to do with workgroup names.

I can prove that the Media Server on the WRT610N is rock solid, by connecting a Pure Sensia to it, which never drops the LAN connection, therefore, the problem MUST be with the HDTV Live.  It sabbotages its own network connection every 30 minutes on the dot.

well when i recieved the wd hd ive, i hooked it up to my network through ethernet and it could not hold a stable connection for more than 10 min on both network shares and youtube. it was very frustrating. After researching forums i came across someones solution of renaming the workgroup name to “WORKGROUP”.

its been over a month since i applied the solution and the wd has not even once dropped the connection