WD TV Live, version 1.01.24, Firmware Update

still no fix for the network issues

sometimes i can play a whole movie and others times i get thrown out of the movie and it says it can not connect to the network

wd hd live tv is a real let down

1 Like

Thanks everyone for their input and valuable information.Ā  Iā€™m currently on .11 and will stay on .11 ā€¦

I donā€™ need any of the youtube firmware updates and IMHO those updates were to solve perhaps a licensing/corporate issue between WD and you tube perhaps over display of you tube videos on TV screensā€¦

Meanwhile weā€™all wait for more important updates FOR US which arenā€™t responded toā€¦

We have zero leverage against WD to get our updates prioritized.

1 Like

[text deleted - please keep it courteous]Ā 

I for one love the Youtube update, And if they released an update to support menuā€™s Iā€™m not going to need / use that, But you wonā€™t be seeing me in here having the biggest hissy fit cry and threatening that Iā€™m not going to buy another one of their products just because they didnā€™t satisfy what ā€œIā€ need that time.

Theyā€™ve said the youtube stuff needed to be done, And that now they can get down to fixing the real bugs and adding new stuff, So get over this update and look forward to new info in the next couple of weeks.

P.S. whats this ā€œā€ā€œThis video is restricted by the video content owner and is not available on TV connected devicesā€ā€œā€ Iā€™m hearing? Does it not play specific files? maybe ones that are just blocked in your country? Hmm, More info on this needed on this please Western Digital, Thank you.

1 Like

wow, a new update to de-feature an already defatured media box. nice work :wink:

2 Likes

Some GUI enhancements in trade for DRM?

Hm, if the update had also provided continuous playing of playlists (an acknowledged request), I would have updated. Since I would expect this very easy to implement, it seems that YouTube does not want such feature for TV players like the WD TV Live. Too bad.

YouTube was not the reason I bought the WD TV Live. Itā€™s nice to have YouTube on the TV in order to show my 3-year old what a seahorse or a snowmobile looks like. Music videos are interesting too, to make my own custom Music-Tv, but without continuously playing playlists, this is useless. So YouTube is just a filler.

Since the WD TV Live works perfectly fine for me otherwise, streaming HD-content with surround sound from my NAS, I can wait until the next update that brings some real benefit - or until YouTube locks out the old interface.

Amen to fixing the Network problems. Ā If Iā€™d known how poor the network connectivity was I would have never bought the flaminā€™ thing, itā€™s pathetic.

WD, hereā€™s a hint - HDMI is far more likely to be wanted for a Home Theatre or HD TV than for watching some low quality YouTube camcorder junk.Ā  Try committing some resources to fixing the networking issues that are being discussed at far greater depth than any YouTube issues.

Oh, and Iā€™ve already told the Home Theatre installers who just put our system in to steer their customers away from using them. Ā They were most interested in my experiences and the networking issues Iā€™d had since buying one and had previously been considering promoting them, but not now!

I had intended to buy two more of these for the other two TVs in the house, thatā€™s definately NOT going to happen until the device can network properly, otherwise itā€™s pointless having the port! Ā Fix this or lose customers, itā€™s that simple.

@ļ»æDBilly: Donā€™t be so sure we cannot apply pressure. Ā I, for one, am active on a number of sites related to digital media (EPGs, PVRs, etc.) Ā and am going to make my poor experience with this device VERY well known to all the people I can. Ā Naturally, should WD finally get their fingers out and fix this stupid thing then Iā€™ll be happy to tell that too, but for now it will only get some serious bad-mouthing. Ā The say any publicity is good Ā publicity, not in this case it wonā€™t be.

1 Like

anyone having problems with playing subtitles after the new update?

Josheh wrote:

But you wonā€™t be seeing me in here having the biggest hissy fit

But your rant sems to pretty much be exactly that, a hissy fit against people noting what the majority of users want and what reviewers note are the specific problems with the WD TV Live: Fixes for some of the networking bugs and things like using chapter marks.

Those kind of positive suggestions are what make products better, your rant isnā€™t helpful at all.

Deletos wrote:

still no fix for the network issues

sometimes i can play a whole movie and others times i get thrown out of the movie and it says it can not connect to the network

wd hd live tv is a real let down

Are the network issues wireless related ?

My setup is hard wired and I have no problems, WD and PC are left on permanently.

I once tried a SMS usb wireless adaptor with my Vista PC, itā€™s now collecting dust because of all the dropouts.

I only use my unit to view HD and other video content I acquire and before this update, Iā€™ve been using v.1.01.00. It kept my audio in sync but I had frequent disconnects (which I temporarily solved by restarting the server services whenever it happened), my HD mp4ā€™s werenā€™t always as smooth as they should be, and when viewing HD mkvā€™s Iā€™d often have to interrupt the playback and resume whenever it started skipping frames and giving me no audio. Thanks to this new update, I donā€™t have any of those problems anymore.

So for me, network shares is fixed, audio is fixed, and poor playback is fixed.

Other than that I donā€™t know.

For those that are still have frequent disconnects, maybe youā€™ve changed so much of your connectivity settings that itā€™s offsetting the fixes. A clean install of Windows or a factory recovery might fix that. Just a thought.

BTW I use Windows 7 on all my PCā€™s and I only view movies via network shares otherwise I donā€™t get my subs from srtā€™s subs, etc.

To those who seem fixated on ā€œsolvingā€ this by doing x, y, z to some Windows box, please remember that Windows isnā€™t the only operating system in the world, there are othersā€¦ e.g. OS/X and Linux. Ā The fact that your Windows boxes are happily talking to each other without dropping out every few minutes supports the idea that the problem is not at the computer end or in your network (wired or wireless) but at the WD TV Live end of things.

For you reference, network problems also occur for files served up via SAMBA shares on Linux too, though in this case the WD TV Live appears completely oblivious to these shares at all, despite other computers (Windows and Linux) having no issues browsing to them.

So while you might occasionally get some improvement by playing with your Windows settings it seems far more likely that you just got lucky - these networking problems are generic, in the WD TV Live and need to be fixed by WDā€¦ now!

All my machines use Linux, including my NAS, and I have no network problems whatsoever with the WD TV Live accessing the Linux machines via SAMBA shares.

Windows 7 - no network issues - in fact never had any network issues since original firmware (apart from renaming PCā€™s workgroup to ā€˜WORKGROUPā€™ after first getting the machine).

However, I did go through a period where I couldnā€™t connect and realised eventually after restarting my router several times that the problem was down to the ETHERNET port on the actual WD TV Live.

The ethernet cable can move slightly in the ethernet port on the WD TV Live and by doing so can lose youĀ  your connection.

Might be worth giving it a wiggle before reformatting your PC which seems a completely ridiculous solution BTW.

This might explain the discrepancies between differing machines, operating systems etcā€¦

I can actually second that observation with loose ethernet socket on the WD TV Live. I recall having the same problem, but put it down to a defect to the cheap ethernet cable that I once received for free at a conference. It was the only long (3m) cable that I had available. I am still using it, and I had not more problems once I nailed it down to the shelf the WD TV Live is standing on.