WD TV Live stops responding every time after 10 min

Hello,

My player stops responding after about 10 min evey single time I play a movie (regardless of format, encoding etc. - I tried them all). But it keeps playing. No controls work to stop the movie, they just show the menu, but the video still plays at the background. When I go back to the video somehow, it shows me the blue circle but nothing can stop it, only the OFF button / reboot.

I have the latest FW 1.05.04, but I still have this problem. It is similar to this one:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Movies-keep-on-playing-when-paused-stopped/td-p/128716.

I remember a few weeks ago everything was working fine or so it seemed. Have they broken something in the FW?

Anyone found a fix for this annoying bug? It’s undescribable how annoying it is to reboot it every time I press a Pause.

The other problem is (which may be related to the first one) is that when selecting to play all videos in the folder, it plays the first one but then hangs at the end before playing the next. It never plays the next video.

I play videos from Seagate NAS 110 via CIFS, that is WD sees it like an external drive.

Downgraded to FW 1.02.21 - still have this problem. I reset to factory settings, did hard reset, unplug power cable, restarted WD, NAS, router 10 times - nothing helps. Every single time I play any video, after few minutes, aparently it’s not even 10, it’s just like 2-3 min, if I press any button on the remote it gives me the can’t play error but keep playing the file and then nothing can stop it other than a reboot.

I thought they’d fix this by now. And I don’t know what’s wrong, what got broken after the newest update because I swear it worked perfectly before 1.05.04.

Anyone? Anyone know how to fix this?

Could it be something to do with buffering? If I unplug the network cable, it still keeps playing.

Tried 1.03.49 - same sh*t!

What kind of NAS are you using?  Several NAS devices have a compatibility issue with the WD Live products…

It’s Seagate BlackArmor NAS 110.

Why should there be a NAS compatibility problem? If there’s a problem it’s only settings/permissions related. As long as WD can mount CIFS (SMB), it should not matter what NAS you have, it must be transparent to it.

And in anyway, it used to work fine until the newest FW update.

The only thing I’ve changed was the WD permission to read only because WD would write some stuff into all folders which I can’t delete later. But then, I’ve tried the same videos from a USB stick (which it had full write permissions to) and it still hangs up after a few minutes. So it’s nothing to do with NAS permissions.

Looks like it just shat itself because when I unplugged the USB stick I couldn’t even touch it - it was that freaking hot like **bleep**! Even though the case was pretty cool.

Check this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/NAS-storage-SAMBA-CIFS-smb-conf-file-recommendations/m-p/187356/highlight/true#M9957

But as I said, it hangs up with a USB FAT32 stick as well.

Was the NAS disconnected from the WDTV when you tried the USB stick, though?

Because if the NAS’s responder is mucking things up, then it wouldn’t matter what source the WDTV was playing from at the time the responder made things go all wonky.

Yes, the NAS was connected, that is the Ethernet cable was connected. I read the other posts re. the LLDP. But regardless of what the NAS is doing, the WDTVLIVE should work properly. So it’s the WDTVLIVE bug. I’m wondering if there’s a fix for that. BTW, as I said it was working with my NAS perfectly fine just before the FW update. It seems something got broken and no other update/downgrade can fix it.

BTW, the DLNA on NAS is disabled.

Could it be router related? Although I did not touch it - same set up as the one when WD worked. Ah, forgot again that I’ve got the same problem with USB. So it’s nothing to do with the router.

I am a WDTV Live HD media player. For many weeks now (although my partner says this has always been the case for months since I bought it, i’ve only just started using it more myself in the bedroom) the WD disconnects after 20min from the wi fi network. I’ve tried everything. Static ips, tested it in another room, with another network adaptor, etc. everything points back to the WD being the problem.

Disappointing. I want a refund and am going to get a apple TV.

I’m on iMac, using playback or/and Rivet to connect a:

xbox360 via a airport express AP.

wd TV live via a D-Link DWA-160

All via a Billion 7800n router.

…also, can I ask…

How do you downgrade the firmware?

I have tried the instructions from  the http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Main_Page

No dice for me. Even trying to use the offical 1.2.21 release won’t be recognised by my WDTV. I use the usb (FAT32) and place the 3 files: .bin, .fff and .ver but is does not work, just reboots to the current firmware 1.4.17 that I have.

As another thought, I bought a new laptop for my wife 1-2 weeks ago and that’s about the same time I started having this problem with WDTVLive (also the same time I upgraded the FW).

Do you know if Vindoze 7 is broadcasting something and messing up with the media player?

bbrams wrote:

…also, can I ask…

How do you downgrade the firmware?

I have tried the instructions from  the http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Main_Page

No dice for me. Even trying to use the offical 1.2.21 release won’t be recognised by my WDTV. I use the usb (FAT32) and place the 3 files: .bin, .fff and .ver but is does not work, just reboots to the current firmware 1.4.17 that I have.

Use the firmware at the link below and follow the instructions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Oh, full censorship in action. So Western Digital can’t tolerate critiscism that their product is **bleep**, so they delete posts saying their product is **bleep**. Fine. I’m not touching WD again.

Actually, you’re legally bound by the terms you agreed to… if your post got deleted, that’s because you violated the terms and knew ahead of time that the post would be removed.

There’s tons of posts bashing WD and urging people to not buy WD products.  WD is quite transparent in terms of leaving the posts, as long as the terms of use here are met.

But to answer your previous question as to whether Win7 could be broadcasting something that is confusing the WDTV, that was the very idea you dismissed on the first page.

If the responder that seemed to be causing issues with the other NAS in the other thread was responding to the bits that Win7 uses for drawing the silly Network Map, then it would make perfect sense for the issue to not appear on your LAN until a Win7 (or Vista) computer was added – previous versions of Windoze on the other PC(s) (or other O/Ss altogether) wouldn’t have had anything to do with the Network Map or the responder for it.

linuxoid wrote:

Oh, full censorship in action. So Western Digital can’t tolerate critiscism that their product is **bleep**, so they delete posts saying their product is **bleep**. Fine. I’m not touching WD again.

Read the rules.  That will help you understand what’s wrong and your posts won’t be removed again and you can complain as you feel like while having your posts intact.

Sorry. You’re right. My appologies.

You’ve got no idea how frustrated I was when I spent the whole week trying to watch a movie but instead was rebooting the player every 10 min.

I did not dismiss the Windoze broadcast suggestion, I said I didn’t care what was broadcasting what, it’s the WD’s player firmware bug that it can’t function properly.

And you know what, I returned the WD player back to the store and got an Asus O!Play HDP-R1HD Media Player instead, which is actually $9 cheaper. And it plays everything without a glitch. Everything! From my Seagate NAS, from USB, from Internet. No problems. And this is the way the WD should work regardless of peripherals because file access is a standard nomatter what other noise may be there.

linuxoid wrote:

I did not dismiss the Windoze broadcast suggestion, I said I didn’t care what was broadcasting what, it’s the WD’s player firmware bug that it can’t function properly.

Yes, but with all due respect, in the other thread I pointed out that it didn’t really matter what was at fault or why… that disabling the script seemed to be a valid and simple work-around until the matter _ could _ be fixed.  Don’t forget, it seems to have taken WD 6 months to work out and test all the kinks with 3TB drives… there was no reason to expect that WD could locate root cause of this issue and fix it quickly – for all I know, it could be a year before this ends up fixed.

It seemed the options were to stop the script, or sit and wait on WD’s bugfix… I was just trying to get you up and running now, but it seemed from your posts that you had no interest in #1.

But if you went with option #3 and got rid of the WDTV and now have a player that makes you happy, then that works too.

I’ve had the exact same problem since the update on the FW. So what I assume must be done is to disconnect the bradcasting pc/mac since the drive mapping is what is causing the Wdhdtvlive to stop. Is that right?