WD TV Live SMP - Newbie need advice XML moviesheet & movies directory structure

Hello all,

I’m a newbie here and need some good practice advice.
My plan is to stream on demand my DVDs from a Synology NAS as a shared Windows folder on a local wired network.

1/ is there any limitation/restriction of XML moviesheet and associated cover jpg usage with file browsing method ?

2/ any suggestion of an “ideal” movie directory structure for an esay (pratical) media browsing usage ?

3/ any benefit / drawback to activate the media library assuming that the NAS is my unique media source ?

4/ for long term compatibility and audio/video quality, I plan do rip my DVDs as ISO files. Good or bad idea, alternate suggestion for ripping method or format/container ?

5/ any additional recommendation is welcome for a newbie. It’s a huge project for me and want to have the good starting points and don’t want to do it twice !

Kind regards,
Thalys.

no one ?

Im no expert, but I will weigh in as I have been setting up my system for around 3 years, so I learnt a little:

1/ is there any limitation/restriction of XML moviesheet and associated cover jpg usage with file browsing method ?

I do not think that there is like a limit of say 1000 or something, but I do know that the more movies/pics/xml that are in 1 directory, the longer My Media Library takes to display.

2/ any suggestion of an “ideal” movie directory structure for an esay (pratical) media browsing usage ?

I use the following structure:

movies  >>  action  >>  movie name  >> all files to that movie

>>  comedy  >>  movie name >>  files

etc

tv shows  >>  show name  >>  season 1 etc  >>  all files for that season

music videos  >>  type (eg rock/rap)  >>  files

purple are folders.

red are files like folder.jpg / movie name (date).mkv / movie name (date).jpg / movie name (date).xml

I do agree, plan now as it gets harder once you start to hit 500 or more movies etc, I gave up counting at 1000 (this includes tv episodes as well, but not music vids).

3/ any benefit / drawback to activate the media library assuming that the NAS is my unique media source ?

You don’t say which Synology NAS you have, nor what other gear is connected, but I am running a DS211j and a ReadyNAS NV+v2, using cat6 cables, and GigE switches, and they run without problems. The ReadyNAS did have a problem but now that it is sorted I do not have any bottlenecks etc, and can stream to 5 devices, and have 4 pc’s playing online games all at once and have no problems. I use My Media Library to connect to both NAS’s. I love the xml files.

4/ for long term compatibility and audio/video quality

I went for MKV files as they may only take up 1GB instead of 8GB DVD, and most of my Blu-ray are down to less than 8GB files (I used DVDFab and Handbrake mainly). I do believe that my library will have to be updated in the next decade or so anyway, as I think we will see non-glasses 3D technology cheap enough to buy, which will mean newer versions of what I already own to buy (like moving from VHS to DVD). With that said I do store my DVD’s/Blu-ray’s in a nice dark cupboard.

5/ any additional recommendation is welcome for a newbie

If you are converting your movies to files (either mkv or iso), turn off screen saver / sleep modes of the computer you are using. I have an i3770 with Radeon HD 7870 graphics, and I still got the occasional glich in the movie/show until I turned these off. I found it better to just come back every 10 mins or so and see if it was done. I also run my mkv files thru mkvmerge (and really just change the name of the file and remove any garbage like directors commentary) as this removes compression [its under extra options and I leave it blank], which is good for me as the 2 older WDTV devices (Gen1) did not like larger mkv files with compression on.

Thanks Gambler71 for your feedback.

What profile are you running for mkv ripping/encoding using DVDFab ?

What profile are you running for mkv ripping/encoding using DVDFab ?

I only use DVDFab to create an ISO (as it decrypts the data for me) and use Handbrake (nightly edition [https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/], for windows you want something like: “HandBrake-svn5454_x86_64-Win_GUI.exe”) whenever possible, along with Daemon Tools Lite (to mount the ISO).

I think this is the article I first read when I started on blu-ray ( http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/handbrake-rip-bluray-tutorial.htm). I personally use High Profile, MKV (not MP4), Anamorphic: NONE, Keep Aspect Ratio ticked, AC3 (or DTS) Passthru for any audio tracks, and only English subs (I never burn them in).

After the movie is converted to MKV I use mkvmerge as described above. If I have subs, and none of them are forced, I also add in a dummy file called none.srt which only contains 2 lines:

00:00:00,001 --> 00:00:00,002

I set this to the default track flag (YES), and all other subs to NO, so that subs do not auto display on the WDTV Live even though in my settings I have told the WDTV Live to auto display. Basically I trick it by telling it to run a blank file.

I used to use WDTVHubGen to generate my XML, but I wrote my own autoit program to make XML files the way I want them to look.

Thanks !  :smiley: