WD TV Live SMP Component Out Quality

I had a WD TV Live Gen2 before, bought it 3 years and it is still working up to now. after reading a lot of reviews and posts in the WD Community, finally decided to upgrade to a WD TV Live SMP.

btw i am using the component out because our TV’s HDMI port is not working. It used to appear fine (i mean the quality) before on the Gen2, but when i hooked up the SMP the quality is really really dissapointing. its watchable, but a far cry from the Gen2’s component out.

The TV is a Toshiba Regza 32A3000E. Did a lot of tinkering around to make the HDMI port work, at first i read somewhere about a “handshake” problem between the TV and the Media player, didnt work. Tried to buy those Adaptor cables to convert the HDMI into VGA, the whole screen appears as green. so, also didnt work. I saw those actual HDMI to VGA converter boxes around but i think they are not cost effective. and another thing, we have another tv (a samsung) and it works fine with that one…

Now i’ve just given up. think ill just convince my wife to buy a new TV. Lol…

Which might actually solve the problem. Alternatively you could set the WD to a fixed resolution of 720p and go up from there to skip the handshaking issue. BTW, the SMP has composite only which of course will look bad compare to the old Live’s component video.

Alternatively you could set the WD to a fixed resolution of 720p and go up from there

1080 i is the highest the Toshiba tv will go.  (1080 p not supported)

Page 23 in the the user manual: http://www.regza-asia.com/pdf/Archive/2632A3000AET-EN.pdf

1 Like

benchph wrote:

btw i am using the component out because our TV’s HDMI port is not working. It used to appear fine (i mean the quality) before on the Gen2, but when i hooked up the SMP the quality is really really dissapointing. its watchable, but a far cry from the Gen2’s component out.

The SMP does NOT have COMPONENT video output.   So that’s the problem.   I don’t know how you’re doing an “apples to apples” comparison, unless you’re comparing COMPOSITE output to COMPONENT.   Composite is SD, and Component can do up to 1080i HD.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys. i stand corrected. i was using the “AV” Output. Was using the same on my Gen2.

When i tried to turn on the TV first before the SMP, it did show the “Splash Screen” but it was all red, and after a while it was blank.

I have read the tv manual and will try out some things later.

Ive given up on this SMP. Now when im playing a video the player would become unresponsive…at first I thought its a ventilation issue but it happened just when I first used it.

Can I ask a refund from WD?

Can I ask a refund from WD?

Why?  Sounds like problem is with your TV and not WD.  You need a new 1080p TV with a working HDMI circuit, Bub.