WD TV Live SMP as NAS server

Hi,

I’ve been using B-RAD’s firmware on my gen2 WD TV Live. One feature it had was to still keep sharing my USB drive on the network, even if the unit was turned off.

Is this possible with gen3 (SMP) generation (from what I found there’s no custom rom for it)? I want to be able to access the USB attached drive from the network as a SMB share, without caring if the unit is turned on or off.

Thanks

there is WDLXTV for the SMP, but it’s very alpha, with alot of broken stuff

however, depending on your needs

official firmware will share attached hdd’s via samba

aboldt wrote:

…One feature it had was to still keep sharing my USB drive on the network, even if the unit was turned off.

Is this possible with gen3 (SMP) generation…?

All that custom firmware did was add a STANDBY feature to devices that lost it due to a chipset change early in the product life.   It didn’t allow you to access it if it was “OFF,” as that’s not physically possible.   

The SMP has always had that function.  Put it in STANDBY, and the disk is still available.   Turn it OFF (via a long press of the power button) and the storage goes away, too.

Thank you very much for you reply. Yes, I didn’t mean physically off, I just meant on standby. > Good to know SMP on standby makes the USB drive accesible.> Thanks> TonyPh12345 wrote:

aboldt wrote:

…One feature it had was to still keep sharing my USB drive on the network, even if the unit was turned off.

Is this possible with gen3 (SMP) generation…?

All that custom firmware did was add a STANDBY feature to devices that lost it due to a chipset change early in the product life.   It didn’t allow you to access it if it was “OFF,” as that’s not physically possible.   

The SMP has always had that function.  Put it in STANDBY, and the disk is still available.   Turn it OFF (via a long press of the power button) and the storage goes away, too.