WD TV Live SMP and osx 10.8

Hi,

I am interesting in getting a WD TV live SMP. My main computer is a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8. I have had a lot of problems with networking and would like to know if everything works between the WD TV and OSX 10.8?? 

Ideally i would like to mount the usb drive plugged into the WD TV onto my mac so i can transfer files to it. If possible by NFS. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thank you for your help!!

Yes

WD TV units are compatible with Lion

you can map the attached storage as a samba share

Wizer wrote:

WD TV units are compatible with Lion

you can map the attached storage as a samba share

I think 10.8 is Mountain Lion, not Lion.  Also, as far as I can tell, neither will work in Samba (SMB) sharing to stream files to WD TV Lve SMP.  WD posted a fairly simple procedure using NFS (which is called Linux sharing in the WD operating system).  It uses the components already in the Mac OS, no added software.  It is described for 10.7, but should also work for 10.8.  It worked for me.  Just remember to turn on Linux sharing in the WD Setup menu.

Where it tells you to enter your mac username, use your shortname, not your Full name.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8538/

I hope someone is still listening here after three weeks…

I have been trying to set up NFS sharing from my Mac running Mountain Lion. Everything looks good except the last step. WD says “From the TV UI select Photos or Videos or Music and select content source and then select NFS” and glorious1 says to “remember to turn on Linux sharing in the WD Setup menu.” I can’t find the path to do either of these things on my early WDTV Live running firmware version 1.06.15_V. Does this feature only exist on newer players, or am I just missing something?

Sorry I don’t know about older firmware.  But you have the WD TV Live SMP, right?  So it’s not an older player than mine.  You might have to update the firmware, or might not, to get the command.

You can’t select NFS, as described in the WD directions, unless you have previously gone into setup to allow “Linux” sharing (They make it as mysterious as possible by using different terms in different places).  I’m not near my machine now, but if you look through the setup, and be sure to scroll all the way down in each menu (some of the menus continue down below where you can see), you should find the place to turn that on.

I just checked the User Guide, and turning that feature on/off is not mentioned in there that I could find, so that might be in a newer firmware.  But in that case it should be always on.

Jim

glorious1 wrote:

Sorry I don’t know about older firmware.  But you have the WD TV Live SMP, right?  So it’s not an older player than mine.  You might have to update the firmware, or might not, to get the command…

No, I have an older model WD TV Live. It was the first WD TV with built-in networking - before the “Plus”, so no Netflix, etc. It tells me I am on the latest firmware: 1.06.15_V.

It doesn’t appear that I can enable NFS sharing on this box, so it looks like my only solution is to install SMBup on my Mac. I was hoping not to need to do this, as it seems to alter the way sharing works between the Mac and Windows systems. Oh well…