Wd Tv Live reboots on wifi setup

Ok, this is [Deleted] pathetic, I buy a new 3rd gen wd tv live plus (with wifi) and out of the box it has defective software. I have been reading about all of the exact same issues with this “new box”, which is no coincidence. The whole endless rebooting because it’s too useless to connect to a wireless router, [Deleted]

What a huge disappointment, considering my first gen version has worked without incident for about 3 years now. I feel sorry for any average Joe that buys this and thinks it will be easy to setup (wrong). You need some technical network education to make this unit work. Below is the solution I spent 4 headbanging hours figuring out.

Go through the setup from beginning, bypass/reject the wired/wireless setup at this point.

The regular menu bar will show up, then go to the settings and start the network setup options. This is where you MUST put in all settings manually, if you try to scan for the auto wireless connect it will crash/reboot again.

Check network settings of a known working device on your network (mine was my first gen WD box):

SSID  -name of your wireless network

IP address  -assign one manually (usually a digit or 2 higher than what you know (devices) exists on the network)

Subnet mask  -usually 10 digit number

Gateway  -usually 8 digit number

DNS  -usually 8 digit number

Pray to your God.

After all that, it seemed to work fine (wireless for HD media & actual interwebs)

I wonder if I will get a rebate for troubleshooting my own problem?

What you really mean to say is that it will crash in your scenario. I don’t have to input manually anything and my player does not crash or reboot. I think you should remove the upper case, underlined MUST in your post as it is not a must for a lot of users.

Agreed…  I’ve never needed to do any manual setup on any of my boxes, either.

The root cause of this may be this issue:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/quot-Welcome-quot-Setup-Choosing-Wireless-causes-reboot-and/idi-p/529653

Hmm… well gents it’s not rocket science, many have had the same scenario with the same setup menu, same name-brand wireless router (Dlink), and the same endless looping issue. I don’t think letting the unit crash and restart for 7 hours is a solution. Lets just all admit the firmware is faulty and move on.

Hopefully they will correct this problem in the near future.

JohnConner wrote:

Hmm… well gents it’s not rocket science, many have had the same scenario with the same setup menu, same name-brand wireless router (Dlink), and the same endless looping issue. I don’t think letting the unit crash and restart for 7 hours is a solution. Lets just all admit the firmware is faulty and move on.

Hopefully they will correct this problem in the near future.

… so you’re saying the problem is still happening now?

No, the solution I explained at the begining of this post fixed the problem 100%.

Well, yeah, but none of that is necessary now.

Actually, what is necessary, is letting people know who buy this unit that it has major network issues hooking up to wireless service. Not too sure why you have not noticed all of the comments about this particular problem?

If your Mother purchased this product (WD TV live) do you think she could get it to work?

Yea, that’s what I thought.

JohnConner wrote:

Actually, what is necessary, is letting people know who buy this unit that it has major network issues hooking up to wireless service. Not too sure why you have not noticed all of the comments about this particular problem?

If your Mother purchased this product (WD TV live) do you think she could get it to work?

Yea, that’s what I thought.

You’re not understanding the point.  WiFi connectivity works FINE.   The issue being described by people is a transient issue caused by, most likely, something wrong in WD’s Geolocation servers.

A problem with the servers is still a problem (which causes crashes), why wouldn’t they fix “said” problem or release a disclaimer saying it has issues in different parts of North America. If they don’t let people know that it’s a temporary problem, they will return the units as “broken”. This is probably is not too good for their reputation or fiscal bottom line.Put up a notice on their website or something, ignoring a problem just makes consumers angry.

For the moment, the unit is working great with the settings I used. I have no regrets buying this unit, but don’t want to beta- test some geo tracking software if it’s not ready for prime-time.

(*sigh*). The problem was fixed even before your 2nd post.

By the way, this whole thread is in the wrong forum… This forum is for the old WDTV, not the SMP you have…

Thanks Tony, I will repost in the proper section.