WD TV LIVE Problem with playback of VOB files (copied DVD)

Reply to: 

01-13-2010 08:52 PM - last edited on 01-18-2010 03:18 PM

I’ve just encountered a really nasty problem:  the WDTV Live only played the file VTS_01_1.VOB in the VTS_VIDEO folder, even when I picked any other VTS_0X_1.VOB file (where X is either 2, 3, or 4) !!!..

I noticed this also but I thought it was OK and was intended to do so. After all a move starts at the beginning. When play is pushed on the folder that contains the movie VOBs it plays the movie from the start.

If it is needed to jump to a point in the movie I use FF as I have not found a way to jump chapters, time segments or the like.

I have tried VOB files and they played from the video folders option but they had momentary pauses, (the movie stuck for a moment), and then would continue.

I switched all the movies into .ISO files and they still had the same momentary pause. No apparent loss of movie segment just this annoying sticking / freezing.

I like the .ISO as they function better in the library. The VOBs showed up with file code names. There were thousands of these files, although I had less than 200 movies. It would be nice if only the folder with the movie name showed up.

blapthorn wrote:

If it is needed to jump to a point in the movie I use FF as I have not found a way to jump chapters, time segments or the like.

Not sure if you were aware of it but you can skip ahead in 10 minute jumps.

When in FF, press the Next button.  Also works for RW (but press Previous). :wink:

I am in the process of backing up my DVDs onto a Seagate Passport HD.  I am playing with different options.  I manamged to use DVDFab (DVD to DVD) option to back up VOBs to a folder and I’m not experiencing the problem with the jerking between VOB files.  Just throwing in my 2 cents.

I purchased a WD TV Live in mid March 2010 for use with my DVD library.  I used DVD43 to decrypt and 1Click Pro to move the DVDs to WD hard drives.    I do not know what software the WD TV Live is running, so I will have to check.  The DVD43 is the most current as is the 1Click Pro.

I created a folder on the hard drive, “Movies” and started recording all to the folder.  My naming convention is “Movie Title” (Rating (G, PG, PG-13, R)) year (if a remake).  On the WD TV Live set-up, selected list movie titles.  I then select video, folders and all my titles are listed.  I scroll to the movie I want to view and select “Enter”.  Like many have reported, I am seeing a very annoying gap of several seconds as the system goes from one file to the next.

I have seen a lot of recommendations concerning renaming files, trying “Play” vice “Enter” (which I have not tried) but when one has over 400 movies, most of those suggestions are very time consuming. 

Is there a real fix or software patch for the WD TV Live?  Thank you