WD TV Live Plus

Ok I have two questions if someone is kind enough to answer them. I’m planning on buying the WD TV Live Plus (mostly for Netflix and DVD Menu capability)

1.) I’m using ‘DVD Decrypter’ to rip my movies to vob format and I’m not sure how to rip it with the menus? Is there a special setting that rips the entire dvd, menu’s and all? I usually just rip the main movie into a single .VOB file. And how do I get into the menu from the WD TV?

2.) Will the WD TV Live Plus up-convert these .VOB files to 1080p?

Thanks for your time!

1.  DVD Decrypter is pretty old stuff, and its DEFAULT behavior is to rip EVERYTHING, including the menus.  So, reset to the defaults, and you should be OK.  Just keep in mind, many new DVDs (made in the last 3-4 years) aren’t ripable by DVD Decrypter.

2.  No, it doesn’t up-convert the FILES, but it does upconvert the display to whatever you set the HDMI settings to.  

TonyPh12345 wrote:

1.  DVD Decrypter is pretty old stuff, and its DEFAULT behavior is to rip EVERYTHING, including the menus.  So, reset to the defaults, and you should be OK.  Just keep in mind, many new DVDs (made in the last 3-4 years) aren’t ripable by DVD Decrypter.

That’s curious. Can you give us some more information on that? I just recently used DVDD to rip a few DVDs that I was returning to Warners for their “DVD2BLU” upgrade program, and it ripped them all just fine. These were mostly movies released on DVD in the last few years.

Sure…  It’s all the different copy protection schemes (beyond CSS) that have been developed in recent years JUST to defeat ripping programs.   Good examples are Disney or Disney/Pixar releases.

You put that in DVD Decrypter and be prepared to wait all day because it will rip 50-60 Gig of data.   

Of course, it’s impossible to store that much data on a DVD, but due to the way they compile the file system, it screws with PCs without bothering DVD players.

AnyDVD and DVDFab come out with new releases about every month or so as new schemes come on-line.

I used DVD Decrypter exclusively until I started ripping my newer movies for use with the WDTV, and about 10% of them wouldn’t rip at all until I started using DVDFab.

Interesting… thanks. Good to know.

If you really like DVD Decrypter and don’t want to move on to IMGBurn (or even if you use IMGBurn), a good freeware tool I use is DVD43:

http://www.dvd43.com/

This removes pretty much any protection out there, just like AnyDVD, but is free and not so bloated.

Interesting …

I’ve been using DVD Decrypter for the last few years and haven’t had any problem with it removing the macrovision protection. Just last night I ripped ‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’ ripping at full speed finished in about 10 minutes. I guess I’ll just have to tinker around with it to try and rip the full DVD. 

One last question … Will the WD TV Live Plus display correctly on a standard 4:3 TV? Or does it have to be widescreen?

Thanks again for the answers!

There is an option in the Video Settings to specify the TV size. I know I was able to rip any DVD using the streaming mode and tweaking what I wanted to rip, but the “easy” mode would have issues with some DVDs, I know some movies like Sky Pilot, the resident Evil movies, and a few others had some problems.

like others have said, i’ve been using DVD DECRYPTER for as long as i can remember, not a single problem ripping.  i always rip to .ISO, that way i don’t have to mess around with folders and multiple files.

i also use DVDFAB with allows you to remove portions (credits, intro trailers etc).

press play on the .iso and it’s like a DVD PLAYER