WD TV Live Plus - with Netflix

mkelley wrote:

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Awwwwww … well it could possibly be that half  of every page are posts by you (or The Team),

Hey – I LIKE that.  I think Tony, Grant, Rich and I should all be part of THE TEAM (and, yes, you know which team I’m thinking about.  Let’s see,  Rich is probably Hannibal, Tony is Faceman, Grant is Baracus and, yes, I’m obviously Murdock – the one who was declared insane).

All right, let’s roll!!!

Ah piddy da foo that criticizes dubbya-dee!  I ain’t flyin Rich!

“I love it when a plan comes together”

Thats a quote that WD could never make!!

mkelley wrote:

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Awwwwww … well it could possibly be that half  of every page are posts by you (or The Team),

Hey – I LIKE that.  I think Tony, Grant, Rich and I should all be part of THE TEAM (and, yes, you know which team I’m thinking about.  Let’s see,  Rich is probably Hannibal, Tony is Faceman, Grant is Baracus and, yes, I’m obviously Murdock – the one who was declared insane).

All right, let’s roll!!!

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Will Schuster, Puck, Quinn, and one of you guys will have to be Sue…

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Will Schuster, Puck, Quinn, and one of you guys will have to be Sue…

And, of course, this old guy has absolutely NO idea what you are talking about (um, Puck is from Mid Summer’s Night Dream, but Quinn and Will Schuster are probably not Shakespearean names, not to mention Sue.  Oh, wait, wasn’t Sue the name of Mercutio’s cousin?)

Ohhh.    ****I**** get it now.   I had to do a few Googles.   Apparently we don’t watch enough Glee.  :)

Glee?  Um, that’s some kind of TV show?  It doesn’t sound much like an action series, though (“Tonight: Kiefer Sutherland takes on the mob on a very special ‘Glee’”).

Sorry I don’t keep up on all this stuff (I’m sure my daughter would know, though). 

Here’s my solution: let’s ask WD to give a rebate to all of us who have been suffering with the WDTV Live and its lousy firmware. We have put up with a lot of trouble for a long time. Now that they have introduced a new and improved model, WD should help us upgrade our old ones. Am I right?

Of course, we are concerned and informed consumers, not passive sheep. So we owe it to our fellow consumers to inform them of the torture we’ve endured for the past several months… I mean, unless you get your kicks from debugging software and trouble-shooting your home network, followed by posting your questions to forums where they are steadfastly ignored.

No, we OWE IT TO THOSE WHO COME AFTER US to share our experiences with them and let them know that the WDTV LIVE PLUS MAY NOT BE THE RIGHT PRODUCT FOR THEM. So whenever and whereever you can post a customer review of the PLUS, be sure to do it. Let them know that WD hasn’t been responsive about our the shortcomings of the WDTV Live, and that they may experience the same sort of problems with the purchase they are considering.

Now, if WD decides to make good with us for standing by their product, we would be less inclined to share our discontent with the world.

Are you with me, brothers and sisters?

The TooleMan

(Current Genius)

TheTooleMan wrote:

Here’s my solution: let’s ask WD to give a rebate to all of us who have been suffering with the WDTV Live and its lousy firmware. We have put up with a lot of trouble for a long time. Now that they have introduced a new and improved model, WD should help us upgrade our old ones. Am I right?

Of course, we are concerned and informed consumers, not passive sheep. So we owe it to our fellow consumers to inform them of the torture we’ve endured for the past several months… I mean, unless you get your kicks from debugging software and trouble-shooting your home network, followed by posting your questions to forums where they are steadfastly ignored.

No, we OWE IT TO THOSE WHO COME AFTER US to share our experiences with them and let them know that the WDTV LIVE PLUS MAY NOT BE THE RIGHT PRODUCT FOR THEM. So whenever and whereever you can post a customer review of the PLUS, be sure to do it. Let them know that WD hasn’t been responsive about our the shortcomings of the WDTV Live, and that they may experience the same sort of problems with the purchase they are considering.

Now, if WD decides to make good with us for standing by their product, we would be less inclined to share our discontent with the world.

The TooleMan

(Current Genius)

Its my impression that this is already happening.

Now the beta firmware is out the only plus difference is Netflix

A rebate scheme for existing Live users also crossed my mind when the news of the Plus came out.  

Sounds like a good way for WD to pacify angry consumers and, since the R&D costs can’t have been significant for the Plus (just a different Sigma chip, the rest is identical, right?), it shouldn’t hurt their margins too badly.

Your approach sounds a bit like blackmail though.  :D

Give us a rebate… or else!

What kind of rebate do you (or anyone else) think would be reasonable?  Like Rich says, the only difference is Netflix now.

That was my suggestion from yesterday.  They could offer a trade in program for a low price to current owners.  In turn, WD can turn around and sell the original model refurbed.  When you consider how low of a percentage of current owners would take advantage of something like this, it ends up costing little to nothing to WD, and keeps everyone happy.  I kind of wish a lot of companies would do something along those lines, at least when incremental updates to a product are concerned.  And lets face it, the + is an incremental update.

Anywho, I voiced my opinions, arguments, etc. yesterday.  Even though those discussions can become heated at times, I do want to mention that being able to come on these boards and voice questions, concerns, comments, and complaints with other users of the community is what makes the internet great.  You can always rest assurred that message boards such as these do give each and every one of us a voice in the community and to the company, even if we feel that they go unheard at times.

mkelley wrote:

Glee?  Um, that’s some kind of TV show?  It doesn’t sound much like an action series, though (“Tonight: Kiefer Sutherland takes on the mob on a very special ‘Glee’”).

Sorry I don’t keep up on all this stuff (I’m sure my daughter would know, though). 

My girlfriend watches this show over … and over … and over … as well as other gems like Vampire Diaries (please kill me) and American Idol (make sure I am dead…)

TheTooleMan wrote:

The TooleMan

(Current Genius)

This would be an awesome … or maybe a Promo Code to use on NewEgg or something for people who registered their HD Live? That would be pretty cool.

I am not sure how bad the firmware was before, I have only had my HD Live for a littl eover a week, but coming from a couple other simular products (which I returned) this thing seems great to the other devices I tried. I have a big, honking HTPC in my living room I wanted to replace, and after two REALLY BAD media boxes I picked up the WD Live, and really like it so far.

Kind of off topic, but if you are using the current Beta Firmware, how do you rank the WD Live now, as opposed to when you first picked it up? I am assuming you have had one for a while since you are talking about having trouble for a long time.

I kind of wimped out and ordered the WD Live Plus off NewEgg, because I liked the “Unleaded” WD Live so much. Don’t judge me =/

Maybe they can talk to Netflix regarding about using drm in a usb flash drive.  Then they could write support for said flash drive and add Netflix use as long as the nessary usb flash drive is plugged in.   I would pay to do this if I used Netflix. 

Netflix isn’t going to do anything that isn’t a hardware solution, so the only way your idea would work is if someone manufactued a dongle that had the necessary hardware – software on a flash drive ain’t gonna do it (for the same reason they can’t put it in the firmware on the Live).

I’m afraid everyone will just have to get used to the fact the Live will NOT do Netflix.  Period.

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

I am not sure how bad the firmware was before, I have only had my HD Live for a littl eover a week, but coming from a couple other simular products (which I returned) this thing seems great to the other devices I tried. I have a big, honking HTPC in my living room I wanted to replace, and after two REALLY BAD media boxes I picked up the WD Live, and really like it so far.

Kind of off topic, but if you are using the current Beta Firmware, how do you rank the WD Live now, as opposed to when you first picked it up? I am assuming you have had one for a while since you are talking about having trouble for a long time.

I kind of wimped out and ordered the WD Live Plus off NewEgg, because I liked the “Unleaded” WD Live so much. Don’t judge me =/

If you go back far enough, you can see that one version of the firmware turned a lot of WDTV Live’s into non-functioning BRICKS which were returned to the manufacturer or retailer for full refunds. Kinda shakes my confidence when it comes to installing firmware. As it is, I haven’t installed the beta or the last “proven” version, and I’m glad I waited to read the reactions of those who had before I knee-jerked into action when the unit alerted me that it had found a firmware update.

You must have money to burn, buying a “live” and a “plus” and all that.

TheTooleMan wrote:

If you go back far enough, you can see that one version of the firmware turned a lot of WDTV Live’s into non-functioning BRICKS which were returned to the manufacturer or retailer for full refunds. Kinda shakes my confidence when it comes to installing firmware. As it is, I haven’t installed the beta or the last “proven” version, and I’m glad I waited to read the reactions of those who had before I knee-jerked into action when the unit alerted me that it had found a firmware update.

You must have money to burn, buying a “live” and a “plus” and all that.

That is very true, however that was sorted out ironically by a firmware upgrade.

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Same here.  I’ll probably gift the vanilla Live to a relative, who will probably love it with the latest firmware.

Based on WD’s customer loyalty vs Roku’s customer loyalty, I think I’d rather go with a Roku. Also, it sounds like USB support is on it way so maybe we’ll see some real competition ( http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/06/western-digital-launches-netflixready-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-media-player.html?cid=6a00d83451c1bb69e20133f0d3081d970b#comment-6a00d83451c1bb69e20133f0d3081d970b). If the Roku will play my local media, specifically ISOs, I’ll be all over that ( http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=176196&sid=40fc725f9963265c4cb4994d3e803f2a#p176228  ← Notice how people are able to get answers to questions on Roku’s forum. Man that’d be nice to have here.).

WD did it again, new box with new features…screw the owners of the WDTV Live with any new features or bug fixes…make them buy a new box. A kick in the balls for us !!

Not only a kick in the balls but had us bend over testing the firmware they intended to put in the plus and stuck it where the sun don’t shine with the announcement of the Plus.

I’m sure the beta firmware they gave us is actually the one used in the Plus without Netflix. And the only reason we got that was because we bi#ched and moaned loud enough for them to throw us a bone otherwise we would have got nothing.