WD TV Live Plus - with Netflix

Well, my last hope is that we will have the WD TV Live Plus firmware hacked to work in the WD TV Live Minus. I am not very confident about new features being added to WD TV Live Minus anymore (since clearly WDTV Live Plus will replace WDTV Live Minus, and WDTV Live Minus will be discontinued…)

drs

drdsouza wrote:

Well, my last hope is that we will have the WD TV Live Plus firmware hacked to work in the WD TV Live Minus. I am not very confident about new features being added to WD TV Live Minus anymore (since clearly WDTV Live Plus will replace WDTV Live Minus, and WDTV Live Minus will be discontinued…)

drs

Don’t forget that the inevitable WDTV Live Plus PLUS will be out in a few months adding Hulu support.  Of course the proper hardware for that device will be lacking in the current devices…

It now already on sale for just 125$ on amazon…

So we have to shout, get tired and go home, No one is listening to us.

backlund wrote:

drdsouza wrote:

drs

Don’t forget that the inevitable WDTV Live Plus PLUS will be out in a few months adding Hulu support.  Of course the proper hardware for that device will be lacking in the current devices…

I’m confused by people expecting something for nothing (e.g. Netflix support).  Was that EVER officially advertised as an upcoming feature?  Can anyone point to any marketing literature stating, “hey, buy this now and we’ll add cool stuff later”…?

The next firmware update will give you everything the Plus has, apart from Netflix support.  That is perfectly fair.  MediaFly was never advertised as a potential feature yet you’re apparently gonna get that too.

If you want Netflix support, buy a product that advertises it.  

The Live Plus uses a different Sigma chipset - it’s different hardware - hence being able to support Netflix.  If the Popbox is using the older Sigma chipset, that’s likely why they had to stop advertising support for Netflix.  

Anyone buying one in the hope that it might get support is risking the exact same situation they find themselves in now.

PixelPower wrote:

backlund wrote:

drdsouza wrote:

drs

I’m confused by people expecting something for nothing (e.g. Netflix support).  Was that EVER officially advertised as an upcoming feature?  Can anyone point to any marketing literature stating, “hey, buy this now and we’ll add cool stuff later”…?

The next firmware update will give you everything the Plus has, apart from Netflix support.  That is perfectly fair.  MediaFly was never advertised as a potential feature yet you’re apparently gonna get that too.

If you want Netflix support, buy a product that advertises it.  

The Live Plus uses a different Sigma chipset - it’s different hardware - hence being able to support Netflix.  If the Popbox is using the older Sigma chipset, that’s likely why they had to stop advertising support for Netflix.  

Anyone buying one in the hope that it might get support is risking the exact same situation they find themselves in now.

It has nothing to do with promising Netflix, for me at least.  My problem is that the device is still in it’s infancy with many of us only having purchased it a few months ago, and it is already being replaced.  I have never asked for something for nothing.  I have stated numerous times today that I would be willing to pay for an upgrade to my device.  The problem is that most of us are getting kicked to the curb.  If they only had announced the product today, that would be one thing, but they released it.  It’s in some stores.  That means that while many of us have been asking for new and updated features, with little to no communication from WD, they were working on a new device and released it.  Most of this situation comes down to a swindle of current customers. 

maybe one of those chips

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Sigma-SDK-will-be-used-on-the-next-firmware/m-p/26267#M2432

I signed up today and am a long time lurker here. I have ben pleased with the purchases I have made first gen and the live. I was reading between the lines when the live version came out that it is possible to get DVD Menu support so I bought one of those. I bet this won’t happen. As mentioned it would of been nice if there was an announcement here that something was in the works not that it would help me as I bought my live player about a month after it was out. I don’t thionk it was goods to raise the price thought. There is a lot more players like this out there that can do the same and some. The Patriot Box to name one. Well guess I’ll start setting aside a bit of money as I am on a limited monthly income to get the plus so I can have DVD Menu support that I have been waiting many months to see. Netflix is nice as long as all their titles can be utilized as the last time I looked on Netflix they were limited. First post as you see so I am new here but not new to technology. I have been promoting WD Players on my forum for some time now as well. I hope that todays firmware will at least provide DVD Menu Support.

pre-release firmware is now available from here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/

It says to have DVD menu support, so that should appease some of us.

PIXELPOWER,

with your logic, you should be perfectly fine with upgrading to wdtv live plus SUPER when it comes out a month after wdtv live plus with hulu support. you are an ■■■■■. if the device can be upgraded by firmware alone, wd should let them. there are free custom firmwares available folks, we paid for the hardware and not for firmware in that sense.

with this move, wd can’t expect to get positive feedback from their previous customers. this is a huge rip off.

PixelPower is right though. Honestly, it’s ■■■■ like Netflix (and other locked content providers) that force the hardware manufactures to lock down the devices and try to prevent custom firmware. Sigma won’t open up their SDKs partially because of competition but also because they don’t want to be part of a device that is able to get around Netflix/locked content protections. 

It’s not really known if the hardware is significantly different, but b-rad already noted extra protection on the debugging (JTAG?) interface. Either way, it’s best to buy something that supports what you want out of the box. Hoping for a firmware that will add major features not announced or promised is a bit much.

backlund wrote:

• * The problem is that most of us are getting kicked to the curb.  If they only had announced the product today, that would be one thing, but they released it.  It’s in some stores.  That means that while many of us have been asking for new and updated features, with little to no communication from WD, they were working on a new device and released it.  Most of this situation comes down to a swindle of current customers. 

Well, you’re wrong plain and simple.  In the first place, if you just looked around a little, you’d realize the ORIGINAL WD HD BOX is still being supported (they updated the firmware late last year, adding new features).  And the Live got a new firmware update today (once again, adding new features).

So just how are you getting swindled?  Or do you think WD can never release new products?  Newsflash: they will KEEP releasing new products as long as they are in business.  Same with Apple, same with any company.  That’s the way the world works.

The problem comes when you add a feature like this mere months after your last release.  They didn’t even announce the new device before it went ot market, meaning there are people who bought the old version yesterday.  Amazon already has the PLUS on sale for $120.  I think some people feel like the guy in this clip from the Onion Movie:

http://vimeo.com/8703840

jnamon83 wrote:

The problem comes when you add a feature like this mere months after your last release. 

Huh?  I bought my first Live in January, which my calendar says is nearly six months ago.  And I’m pretty sure it had been out at least a few months prior to that.  I’m fairly sure it’s been almost a year.  How is that “mere months”?

Or, to put it another way, maybe you could please tell US exactly what YOU consider to be an appropriate time (jeesh, you sound like someone trying to criticize a widow for dating.  “Must allow a certain time for propriety sake”).  Customers complain when companies don’t release products soon enough, and they complain when they release them too soon (get the picture?  People complain no matter what, and any company worth it’s salt will ignore them and get on with business).

i was never for people expecting to gain features through future update. what I am saying is that you cannot let a manufacturer milk the consumers by holding back on features that they know people want to use with intentions of coming out with a product replacement enabled with such features. you really don’t see anything wrong with this?

there are other ways to charge for updates and making their customers go buy another one entirely is the WORST way to go. like I would be gladly willing to pay a fraction of the unit cost for netflix/hulu upgrade. but buy a new one making my old unit obsolete? no thanks.

the only logical Plus worthy of a new unit is 3d capabilities for instance. not lines of code that can be upgraded with current unit.

OK guys stop bickering and help a noob update his firmware. The only option I see wants to update ir from the internet.

Mike,

You’d better post on a separate thread – this one is getting so long a lot of us (yours truly) aren’t going to visit anymore.

Besides – it’s all been said (and some folks STILL don’t get it – the Plus added HARDWARE in order to do Netflix.  It can’t be done via firmware.  It had to be hardware.  Firmware wouldn’t do it.  The current Live could NEVER have Netflix.  It was stated a long, long time ago.  Geesh – some people are really, really thick).

Yeah that’s why I moved on. It’s getting old. I already posted on the firmware thread also.

mkelley wrote:

jnamon83 wrote:

The problem comes when you add a feature like this mere months after your last release. 

Huh?  I bought my first Live in January, which my calendar says is nearly six months ago.  And I’m pretty sure it had been out at least a few months prior to that.  I’m fairly sure it’s been almost a year.  How is that “mere months”?

Or, to put it another way, maybe you could please tell US exactly what YOU consider to be an appropriate time (jeesh, you sound like someone trying to criticize a widow for dating.  “Must allow a certain time for propriety sake”).  Customers complain when companies don’t release products soon enough, and they complain when they release them too soon (get the picture?  People complain no matter what, and any company worth it’s salt will ignore them and get on with business).

Just curious what Western Digital’s stock prices are trading at lately?  You certainly seem to own a ton of it.  Then again, with the way that they are screwing customers, that stock should provide you with plenty of disposable income.

I’m reminded of a line from one of the most popular movies of the last 10 years:

“You’re like a BABY.   Making NOISE.   Don’t know WHAT to do!”

:slight_smile:

33.21 down -0.28 :neutral_face: